Dumb things you own, and never use

I have a Veritas router plane, sitting in the box it came in. Not sure what it's for.
I mostly use mine to clean out the bottoms of dadoes. I also used the mini version of the Veritas to rout out some hinge recesses one time. Router planes are really useful. Heck, I haven't undertaken a serious wood project since 2008, but I still use my router plane for this and that. Usually carpentry stuff around the house.

The 2x72 belt grinder is a wonder. Until you have one, you don't know how badly you need it. Cuts any kind of metal. Shapes. Polishes. Sharpens.
I ended up going with a 2x48 or something weird, to save money. It's definitely not as good as a 72" belt, but it's much better than nothing. I hardly ever use my bench grinder anymore.

Buying 5 angle grinders was smart. Don't switch wheels.
On the subject of dumb stuff: Battery-powered angle grinder, and battery powered reciprocating saw. Those both suck batteries so fast it's almost funny.

I bought a big set of broaches and bushings. I think I've used them once. But I don't care. I can't have peace unless I know I can broach.

I bought a Gorton grinder, fixed the bearings, and made a rolling base for it. Since then, it has collected dust. Really disgraceful, since it's probably the best drill sharpener on Earth.

I have a Veritas router plane, sitting in the box it came in. Not sure what it's for.

I like to keep my 8" rotary table on the mill, but my 10" table sits on a shelf. I'm afraid to lift it.

I learned how to use Fusion 360, and I used it to design an attachment that turns my 16x40 metal lathe into a wood lathe. I made the attachment, and I have never used it. Later I bought a very nice small Harbor Freight wood lathe and turned a Husky tool chest into a lathe cart. I have made one tool handle.

I'm not sure I've ever used my Dumore sensitive drill press.

I bought a mini lathe and converted it to CNC using a half-assed set of plans I found on the web. Not a great idea, unless you give up on the plans and get real balls crews.

On the other hand, there are expensive (or relatively expensive) tools that really worked out well.

The mill is an amazing tool. I can't understand why anyone would say a lathe is more versatile. A mill does everything a drill press does, better, plus a lot of what a lathe does.

I rarely use my plasma cutter, but when I do, I thank God I have it.

My dry-cut saw is a lifesaver. Zips through stuff that takes all day on the band saw. I use it constantly.

The 2x72 belt grinder is a wonder. Until you have one, you don't know how badly you need it. Cuts any kind of metal. Shapes. Polishes. Sharpens. I had to spend $500 on the body, and the spare VFD I used was a $300 item. Then I had to get a motor, a cart, and an enclosure for the VFD. I don't care. It rocks.

I put $300 CBN wheels on my bench grinder. Anyone who doesn't have CBN is insane. They last pretty much forever. You never have to dress them. They don't heat things anywhere near as much as ceramics. You can grind on the sides of the wheels without risking death. You never have to "ring" them to see if they're safe. You can grind anything under the sun on them safely; aluminum makes ceramic wheels explode.

Putting a VFD and bigger motor on the drill press was a great move. No belts to fool with.

Buying 5 angle grinders was smart. Don't switch wheels. Just reach for the other grinder. Getting a 6" Metabo with cutoff wheels allowed me to cut metal much faster than a band saw, and it even outdoes gas cutting and plasma sometimes.

I bought a Phase Perfect solid state phase converter. Something over three grand. I felt like a spendthrift, but it's fantastic. My big lathe runs like it should, and I was able to take the VFD off the mill.

I wish I had gone for a 7.5-horse compressor instead of 5. For most tasks, my compressor is a monster, but some tools really suck air.

The other expensive tool I haven't bought but should: lift that will pick up a car and also serve as a table. That would complete me.

I don't regret not falling for brands like Snap-On and MAC. Sometimes you have to buy the most expensive thing out there, but most of the time, you don't. If I had a $250 screwdriver, I would be ashamed of it.
Car lift makes a great bench...

Toss plywood on it and any height you want.

Something heavy, lower to ground and drag it on....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Every time I have some money to spend, I have more exciting things to do with it than pay legal fees, so I'm still married. Her boyfriend is still married too, which is probably why she hasn't nagged me to get this handled.
Life takes a weird path sometimes, often in directions we could never imagine. If it works, it works…..

My Blake co-axial indicator.....it had a 0.001" wobble not touching anything while holding the body still. It seems to work perfectly. It's just the needle will not 100% settle.

I have yet to need my gauge blocks but I have minus gauge pins up to 3/4" and I often use them. I'd like to go all the way to 1" someday.

My crappy hf metric drill set comes to mind thinking about junk. I need to buy a decent set....

Car lift makes a great bench...
Toss plywood on it and any height you want.
Something heavy, lower to ground and drag it on....
Just a thought, a somewhat smaller version is the "motorcycle" lift at HF. As well as a number of homade projects for the same device.

I have been buying, collecting woodworking and metalworking tools and machines for over 25 years.
Our basement and shed are now full.
2 die filer machines and over 30 dedicated files with stone holders in many grits.
I never used any of them !
I have been told that I am a "collector" !
I guess I have to agree. I still love going thru all the drawers and spaces to find forgotten brand new tools.
Waay too many to list !
Happy Trails !
J

Not sure if someone has already cracked this joke but eh.
Most of my braincells. :confused 3:
Oh and that huge hydraulic hacksaw in the garage that I spent months renovating and then used 6 times.

No worries. I’m very much a “live and let live” kind of person. As long as you’re not breaking laws, not harming other people and its consenting adults….Whatever works…;)
I just caught all that spicy and western stuff. It seems like you guys are imagining that I have some freaky relationship where I live in the same house as my wife and her boyfriend. I'm not opposed to unusual relationships myself, but this is just a case of she moved out and left it in my hands to tie up the loose ends. About the only interaction we have anymore is she will ask me once a year or so if I filed for divorce yet. Nope. Not going to do it today either.

I'm trying to decide how best to make my life easier, which may change the balance of dumb things I own and never use.

Currently, my rotary table just made that list. It's really sloppy. I just read through the manual again, and I wonder if I could just adjust it. It seems reasonably well-made. My real problem is probably that I'm still too stupid to indicate something to the spindle correctly. A coaxial indicator would make a fine addition.

On the other hand, my DRO setup would be way easier to use if I got a Touch DRO head unit.

I just checked my budget, and I'm already $1500 over. Of course I am. Well, I sure ain't paying for a divorce today.

I don't consider what left over tools I kept, as waste of money or dumb but the idea of keeping them is silly.
I used to be in woodworking hobby for a few years , sold most of my major WW tools (planer, table saw, jointer) but sill have 4-5 routers, hand planers, miter saw, table saw blades, dovetail tool, router bits etc. I'm almost sure I'll never use them again and they are taking up valuable space but I still hang on to these tools so maybe in the future I could trade them or most likely give them to someone who needs or appreciates them.

Back