Dumb things you own, and never use

I typically don't pay too much for stuff, try to do some informed shopping before bidding/buying. I have been known to do a lot of impulse buying on the cheap. I'm trying to reel it in a little better. I went on a buying spree a few years ago after I picked up a DoAll ML 16" bandsaw which would be replacing my Sears 12" wood saw. My DoAll has a blade welder which works great. I was shopping for bulk blade stock in varying widths and teeth per inch to replace the plethora of choices I had for the Craftsman. I think it was eBay seller "stm_surplus" who listed a 100' roll of Starrett 1/2" x 10 tpi for $10. "Oh, gotta have that! That'd be great for cutting 1/4" plate!". Before bidding, I checked what was in the shop. I already had a full roll (good for 10 blades on my saw) and a pretty full partial. Nope, don't need to be able to make up close to 30 10' 1/2" x 10 tpi blades. I'm happy someone got a great deal as the stock went off auction at $10.

On the other hand, if picking up deals is what makes you happy, go for it! I had a buddy in the Erector set collecting club who lived for "the hunt". He scour antique shops, flea markets, yard sales (and eBay) for stuff on the cheap. He had over 1500 Erector set boxes with parts as found in them. He probably had under 25 sets that were restored to "as shipped from the factory" appearance. He got off on finding something for cheap and wasn't into sorting out parts and inventorying to build a complete set. He was still buying stuff until he went off Chemo 6 years ago and passed away.

He told me a story about his son (kindergarten teacher) asking him where he could find a bunch of magnifying glasses for his students to use. Ray went to a shelf and pulled off a couple hundred that he'd bought for $1 at a flea market. I'm sure the look on his son's face was priceless to Ray!

Bruce
Being pretty much a noob when I came here it was just the place where I could get a better picture of how to do what I wanted to do and what it took to do it. And being a life long tool user I loved having the right tool for the job. But it's a fine line between user and hoarder. This was always brought the most clear when I went to an estate sale and saw first hand how dumb hoarding was, and what a burden it could be to my SO.

I was so curious and there was so much info here and knowing what I needed was the biggest part of the battle. I purposely stifle my SO's want to help by wanting to build a big shop. My garage shop is my ultimate governor on the urge to give in to the dumb excess.

But over and over I see a thread here about some machine or process and that knowledge gets added to the pile and next thing I know I'm cruising CL or in an estate sale and bumble on to that thing that I thought "I could use that, but not what they want for it, so I'm ok" and there it is buried in boxes of junk and tools. So I'm torn, I don't really have the room, I only have a dim idea of what it does, but hey it's small, and the deciding factor is "how much?". And in the case of my Atlas shaper the guy says, $125...it's DOH!, that's way less than I ever thought I'd see a complete one for and how can I not buy it? But is it dumb?

Turns out it wasn't. I use it as much as the lathe and mill. It does things neither is as well suited for. But I could have gotten along without it I guess. But I use it and wouldn't get rid of it. But to some it's dumb mostly for it's size, but once again dumb is in the hands of the user.

To quote my old boss when he got mad at an employee that kept referring to his tools as dumb "Let's get this straight, all tools are dumb".

That being said the only smart thing I own is my goobermint monitoring device (My Smartphone).

I may have things I own but never use here and there around the shop...
But the real issue is owning so many things that my so-called friends would use but never own!

Thirty minutes on the mill might cost you nothing, but I paid for it, moved it, housed it, powered it, tooled it up, and maintained it for years, and in that time my money has leaked like oil all over the place! That thirty minutes is worth at least a pizza and a six pack, for frik's sake!
I still have a sh*t-eatin' grin from a recent communication with a former supervisor of mine at my former workplace. He is one of the smartest engineers I've been around, and hands down the most arrogant. He relishes(d) putting people down with his "witty" comments. He's one of the few from my former workplace that if I saw stranded on the road, I'd wave as I drive by.

He emailed me a month ago asking if I'd gotten into a routine since retiring at the end of February, 2022. I cordially replied, "you will love 7-day weekends once you retire too." I told my wife, you just watch, he wants something.

I got an email from him a week later, "Hey, is Hansen's Machine Shop still open for business? I broke a part on my tractor that needs to be repaired, you wouldn't believe what the equipment dealer wants for the part! I also have a design for a tool holder for my wood lathe I'd like fab'd up." I replied that I'd love to help him out, but I'm swamped with projects and won't be able to help him for at least 6 months.

I'll make sure to not sweep the shop floor for a while when I get some things wrapped up and get closer to being able to help you out. "Why's that?" Because the price of admission into my shop is you sweep the floor before we even begin to look at your project. Then the clock starts at $75/hour. I'm retired and enjoy working on what I want, when I want, IF I want. I don't want to work on your projects, so it is going to cost you dearly. Funny thing, I haven't heard back. . .

Bruce

Last edited:
One man's complicated is another man's spicy. That's why you can order spicy dishes on a scale of 1 to 10. That way he gets the taste he's after, and you can have it as bland as you like!
No worries. I’m very much a “live and let live” kind of person. As long as you’re not breaking laws, not harming other people and its consenting adults….Whatever works…;)

Last edited:
Bruce, congratulations on your retirement. One of the problems of working in the regular job is the pressure of getting it done quickly and yet meet the specs. It ain't easy. Nice thing about retirement is that you can be cantankerous as much as you want. If a person wants me to make something, that's fine but under my terms. They want it done right now, forget it. I'm going to take my time. They want a sloppy job, forget it. And don't tell me how I'm supposed to do it, especially in my shop. It may seem harsh. But quoting Winky' workshop, "I like it "in the end

I bought a big set of broaches and bushings. I think I've used them once. But I don't care. I can't have peace unless I know I can broach.

I bought a Gorton grinder, fixed the bearings, and made a rolling base for it. Since then, it has collected dust. Really disgraceful, since it's probably the best drill sharpener on Earth.

I have a Veritas router plane, sitting in the box it came in. Not sure what it's for.

I like to keep my 8" rotary table on the mill, but my 10" table sits on a shelf. I'm afraid to lift it.

I learned how to use Fusion 360, and I used it to design an attachment that turns my 16x40 metal lathe into a wood lathe. I made the attachment, and I have never used it. Later I bought a very nice small Harbor Freight wood lathe and turned a Husky tool chest into a lathe cart. I have made one tool handle.

I'm not sure I've ever used my Dumore sensitive drill press.

I bought a mini lathe and converted it to CNC using a half-assed set of plans I found on the web. Not a great idea, unless you give up on the plans and get real balls crews.

On the other hand, there are expensive (or relatively expensive) tools that really worked out well.

The mill is an amazing tool. I can't understand why anyone would say a lathe is more versatile. A mill does everything a drill press does, better, plus a lot of what a lathe does.

I rarely use my plasma cutter, but when I do, I thank God I have it.

My dry-cut saw is a lifesaver. Zips through stuff that takes all day on the band saw. I use it constantly.

The 2x72 belt grinder is a wonder. Until you have one, you don't know how badly you need it. Cuts any kind of metal. Shapes. Polishes. Sharpens. I had to spend $500 on the body, and the spare VFD I used was a $300 item. Then I had to get a motor, a cart, and an enclosure for the VFD. I don't care. It rocks.

I put $300 CBN wheels on my bench grinder. Anyone who doesn't have CBN is insane. They last pretty much forever. You never have to dress them. They don't heat things anywhere near as much as ceramics. You can grind on the sides of the wheels without risking death. You never have to "ring" them to see if they're safe. You can grind anything under the sun on them safely; aluminum makes ceramic wheels explode.

Putting a VFD and bigger motor on the drill press was a great move. No belts to fool with.

Buying 5 angle grinders was smart. Don't switch wheels. Just reach for the other grinder. Getting a 6" Metabo with cutoff wheels allowed me to cut metal much faster than a band saw, and it even outdoes gas cutting and plasma sometimes.

I bought a Phase Perfect solid state phase converter. Something over three grand. I felt like a spendthrift, but it's fantastic. My big lathe runs like it should, and I was able to take the VFD off the mill.

I wish I had gone for a 7.5-horse compressor instead of 5. For most tasks, my compressor is a monster, but some tools really suck air.

The other expensive tool I haven't bought but should: lift that will pick up a car and also serve as a table. That would complete me.

I don't regret not falling for brands like Snap-On and MAC. Sometimes you have to buy the most expensive thing out there, but most of the time, you don't. If I had a $250 screwdriver, I would be ashamed of it.

Ummmm….”my wife’s boyfriend”?

That sounds a little……”complicated”….
Every time I have some money to spend, I have more exciting things to do with it than pay legal fees, so I'm still married. Her boyfriend is still married too, which is probably why she hasn't nagged me to get this handled.

Back