Dumb things you own, and never use

LOL.. I was in HF last weekend for the end of the Labor Day sale and picked up a pack of 7 or 8 10mm in various size / depths.

First time i'd ever seen a set of nothin' but 10mm. Whoever thought to package them that way, was a genius.

I've never owned a vehicle that didn't eat 2-3 of them.
That is pretty genius, but so far my vehicle has yet to wrest a 10mm socket from me. The last time, I jumped up and down and all around, and waved a rubber chicken at it, until it finally vomited my lost socket on the ground. Dewbane 1, Jeep 0. Bwa ha ha ha haaaaaa!

I have to recind my previous stupid too, the E-torx sockets as i had to use a couple on my buddy's wife's car yesterday.

But, I submit to you this epically useless thing, the 51/64ths 5 sided socket! I've needed it exactly once. I bet a bucket of doubloons it never gets pulled out again

Attachments

• 20221011_062300.jpg
    20221011_062300.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 10
I have to recind my previous stupid too, the E-torx sockets as i had to use a couple on my buddy's wife's car yesterday.

But, I submit to you this epically useless thing, the 51/64ths 5 sided socket! I've needed it exactly once. I bet a bucket of doubloons it never gets pulled out again
That's a security socket for sub-grade electrical vaults, typically concrete set like in sidewalks. 5 sides and 51/64ths keeps everyone out except for the guy who brought a pair of Channel-Locks with him on his spree for high voltage junctions. They come up with all sorts of tamper-resistant stuff like that, but much of it is possible to defeat. Go take a walk downtown near large buildings, look at what's installed in the sidewalk, and see what fits!

That's a security socket for sub-grade electrical vaults, typically concrete set like in sidewalks. 5 sides and 51/64ths keeps everyone out except for the guy who brought a pair of Channel-Locks with him on his spree for high voltage junctions. They come up with all sorts of tamper-resistant stuff like that, but much of it is possible to defeat. Go take a walk downtown near large buildings, look at what's installed in the sidewalk, and see what fits!
If your game, those vault lids have steel in them that could be used for lots of things. Hard to run with tho, but bullet proof.

You know, its near impossible these days to get ahead of the utility companies. If I were your neighbor I would worship your power company funded lawn art by starting every morning in prayer, in peace amongst your plasma riddled lawn decorations.

It'll also get you into pad-mount transformers and 13.8kv switchgear.

Needed one of those for years to access a client's equipment.

They never provided one so we used hammer and chisel to get started an Gerber to finish.

Penta socket.

Size is distance from a flat to opposite point

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

In the category of worthless-junk-tool, my nominee would be the Harbor Freight Scroll Saw.
For the used-once-now-what category is a 100V 10A DC power supply. It worked great, but at great expense.
In the nice-idea-but-nope category is a cheap lathe milling attachment.

Back