Does anyone have a Drill Doctor?

@Buffalo21,

Jack,

It looks like you have both a MR-13 and a MR-26. Can you tell me what collet fits each?

Does the MR-13 use an ER-20 or an ER-25? I'm guessing it is ER-20 based on the range but would like to confirm.

Same question for the MR-26. I'm guessing ER-40 but would like to confirm.

Thanks,
Arvid

@Buffalo21,

Jack,

It looks like you have both a MR-13 and a MR-26. Can you tell me what collet fits each?

Does the MR-13 use an ER-20 or an ER-25? I'm guessing it is ER-20 based on the range but would like to confirm.

Same question for the MR-26. I'm guessing ER-40 but would like to confirm.

Thanks,
Arvid

13B - ER 20
26A - ER 40

I have the older DD750, now referred to as a "Classic. It worked fine for many years, but as you might guess being primarily made of plastic it eventually started to wear and would no longer sharpen bits properly. In all fairness I probably over worked it. At the time I was sharpening about 50 bits per month. At 50 bits per month for over 10 years it did in excess of 6,000 sharpening's before I gave up on it. I put the DD on the shelf and started searching for a better machine. The drills piled up for nearly a year as I was in no rush to shell out big bucks.

As luck would have it a shop in our area was moving to a new location. They had purchased a Black Diamond drill grinder as part of an auction lot and never used it. The thing sat in a corner for over 3 years before they decided it was time to go. They knew I was in the market for a grinder and gave me a call. We agreed on a price, and my problem was solved.

I now have and use Black Diamond model BW65 drill grinder. It was originally built in 1974 for a local National Guard repair depot as part of a military contract. I have no idea why they purchased it in that the machine is 220 3phase, and there was no 3 phase power in their building. It sat unused in the shop from 1974 to until around 2010 when it was sold at auction. It sat unused another 3+ years in the new owners shop before he offered it to me.

When I acquired it about the only thing I had to do was clean off the dust, add a static phase converter, repair a damaged switch, and put it to use. It's made sharpening drills a whole lot quicker and easier. The first week I had it was the most boring week of my life. I literally spent days at a time sharpening my backlog of drills. In total I would guess there was between 300 and 500. I still sharpen a fair amount of drills, but I'd guess todays volume is somewhere half of what I was doing. If I do them on a more regular basis it takes less than an hour a month to keep up to speed.

I guess the whole point of this rambling is that depending on the volume of bits you need to sharpen there are options. If you're in the 5-10 bits per month the DD will probably be all you'll ever need. If the volume gets near the range I've experienced there are better, albeit more expensive, longer lasting alternatives. In our area the Drill Doctor 750X with the accessories runs around $150.00. I paid slightly over $300.00 for the Black Diamond with the roll around cabinet, all the collets, accessories, and a spare wheel. I do see occasionally see machines similar to the one I purchased at similar prices. I doubt you'll find the exact model in that it was a 3 phase machine built for a military contract. All other Black Diamond machines I've seen are 220 single phase.

Here are a couple pictures of my Black Diamond machine.

View attachment 341312View attachment 341313
You are one blessed guy to get a Black Diamond unit for $300. They bring $500 + at auction and often with incomplete sets of collets. Well done. This is a commercial grade machine and puts a Drill Doctor to shame by comparison. Darex has made several commercial machines that use the same principle as the $150 version but also go for premium prices. The bit holders alone when you can find them are $200 on eBay and new grinding wheels are $300 each.

You are one blessed guy to get a Black Diamond unit for $300. They bring $500 + at auction and often with incomplete sets of collets. Well done. This is a commercial grade machine and puts a Drill Doctor to shame by comparison. Darex has made several commercial machines that use the same principle as the $150 version but also go for premium prices. The bit holders alone when you can find them are $200 on eBay and new grinding wheels are $300 each.

The first drill sharpener I attempted to buy was a Darex M3. It came up for sale when the company I worked for was closing a shop. I had actually paid for the unit, but had to wait until the day the shop closed to take possession. 3 months later when the day came I went over to the shop only to find it had been stolen. It took a few weeks to get all the documentation and get my money returned.

By now I had nearly a 5 month backlog on drills that needed to be sharpened. I was in a hurry for a machine and had read about the DD750. It was relatively inexpensive so I thought I'd take a chance. The machine did work well for about 10 years before I decided it was time to replace it. I literally looked at dozens of different machines. They all seemed either way over priced, or worn to the point that they wouldn't be any better than the one I was trying to replace.

Apparently all the stars aligned when I got the call that the Black Diamond was available. The price was right, the quality was excellent, and the timing was perfect. I roll it out about once a month, dust it off, sharpen a pile of drills, and roll it back to its corner. It makes a once tedious and time consuming job almost a pleasure to complete. I love the results and smile each time one of the newly sharpened drills cuts through the toughest material like it was butter.

I went from waiting forever for the 13b to become available again to now having 2 of them...yes the same model. Long story..... I'd sell one here but shipping would be too expensive.

GunsOfNavaron:
Any progress with your new drill sharpener. I am curious if you had the same results as Buffalo21.

Roger L

Yup...got 2 but was able to return one. There was a 5/16" bit that I loved (black oxide from Dewalt of all things!) It was so dull, I was using it as a test piece to experiment sharpening by hand....yeah, really screwed up... Took me a couple minutes to figure how how to set up and adjust, but once I got it set, it took seconds and this things cuts like new! No more tossing bits when there dull! I do need to see how small of ER20's I can get for this thing as MOST bits I use are sub 1/2" or 13mm. Now I understand we can sharpen carbide end mills but it requires a different compound wheel. I was skeptical but now I am going to get that wheel and sharpen end mills as well. For the price you could buy a nice 115 piece drill bit set or just buy new bits as they dull, but I feel pretty good about this route.

I’ve been looking at a Tormek DBS-22 sharpener. Looks like a good machine. Didn’t really want to spend the $400 for one so decided to build one like it. Making a few changes but I think it will work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunsOfNavaron:
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the cost is high for something that you might use a few times per year to sharpen your drills. BUT the time when you are drilling a bunch of holes and the drill gets dull or you hit something with the drill and knock the edge off it now you can sharpen the drill and keep going instead of waiting for a new drill to arrive or having to go out to get a new drill. That is the time you will be glad you have the drill sharpener.

Roger L

Back