Does anyone have a Drill Doctor?

when I bought the MR-13B drill sharpener, I had ordered a spare grinding wheel. The paperwork I got back, thanked me for the purchase and said shipment arrival dates, were more fluid due to the COVID pandemic, expect delivery between January 27 to February 16, it arrived today.

Last edited:
I basically throw bits below 3/32” away, they are dirt cheap
I get that, but when you spend $400 or more on a sharpener, the logic could apply to just buying a very nice set of bits or as many replacement as you like. If it's possible to sharpen end mills and small bits....count me in.

I used the MR-13b for about an hour this morning, did a number of drill bits, it worked flawlessly

I'm tempted to buy a Drill Doctor 750X after I've seen reviews of it on Yotube. Seems to be the consensus best/easiest way to re-sharpen dull drills.

I haven't seen any opinions stated yet by machinists. I was wondering if this tool is often used in the machining community.
It has some range of adjustment for the cutting angle of the drill. That's kind of nice. I guess for a hobbyist it would work great. Tooling geometry is very complex. My only complaint about a DD would be that it can't add any additional geometry, such as, a tiny and precise radius on the cutting edge to drastically increase tool life and giving you the ability for much faster feeds and speeds.

@Buffalo21 how small if bits have you done? I found if it's not setup correctly (I mean dead on with the web alignment) or it will snap that somb1tch as soon as it touches the wheel!

About the smallest I've sharpened with either the Drill Doctor (750 Classis) or the Black Diamond drill grinder is 1/8". The Black Diamond will sharpen down to #33 or in fractional sizes 1/16". In my case both of those sizes need a magnifying glass to be sure the angles are correct. For the smaller sizes it's generally more cost effective to just replace them.

There are currently several listings for 1/16" drills on eBay. Names like Chicago Latrobe and Union Butterfield are selling for between $1.00 and $1.25 ea. Hardly worth straining the old eyes for that price.

Yeah, I whole heartedly agree. There's just that challenge factor. I should be able to do it....technically. Not so much however. I spent a chunk of change on a full set of Norseman twist drills, I spent a chunk of change on a sharpener. I wrote the 2 off by telling myself that one purchase would support the other. That's partially true. The MR13b does very good on MOST. I thought I could do endmills as well, but the sharpener doesn't do flat ends (180*?)

@Buffalo21 how small if bits have you done? I found if it's not setup correctly (I mean dead on with the web alignment) or it will snap that somb1tch as soon as it touches the wheel!
1/8”, smaller than that, I just throw away the dull ones and get a new one. I have them in bulk, usually between 50-100 of each size

I am looking to buy a drill sharpener. The company I work for has a Black Diamond 2B drill sharpener. I use it to sharpen my drills. It works great down to 1/16. It does not split the point. I have been looking for a used Black Diamond sharpener and they ether do not have any collets or they are way out of my price range.
I know someone who is selling a Darex M4 sharpener but it does not have the 1/16" to 1/2" collet. The 1/16-1/2" collets show up on E-Bay but you do not know it they are worn out. Darex does not support the product any more.
The MR-13 sharpener looks good but I am a bit concerned about the quality of the Chinese tool.
Fore the people who have the MR-13 sharpeners knowing what you know now would you buy one again? Would you recommend it to a friend? I would really like to sharpen drills down to almost 1/16".
Any information would be great.

Roger L

Here's a DIY setup for smaller size drills. NOT a name brand by any means, but it looks like it will work:

Full disclosure: I don't recall where I got this link. For all I know, it might have been in one of the previous 10 pages of this very thread. If so, my apologies to the original poster for not giving credit.

Back