Does anyone have a Drill Doctor?

it came with the collets, they were part of the whole package.
Yeah, gotcha..but I guess I'm saying if you wanted to increase the sizes you wanted to do or if an imperial isn't close enough to a metric/similar size....can you use sizes that didn't come with the unit? I don't see why not, but I am curious.

Weight isn't always what you think it might be. Back in the 1970's electronic calculators started replacing mechanical ones. Until that time any "decent" desk calculator weighed a minimum of 5 lbs. The new electronic ones generally weighed 1 lb. or less. They weren't selling all that well so Texas Instruments did a survey of potential customers. They found the main complaint was that customers thought since they weighed only a fraction of their predecessors they must be cheaply built and wouldn't last.

To resolve the weight problem Texas instruments started potting a piece of 16 ga. sheet metal to the bottom of the case. Problem solved the calculators were now more than double their original weight and seen as more durable.

I remember having an Olivetti desk calculator of that vintage. When it finally died I disassembled it thinking there must be some useable parts inside. It turned out to be a keyboard with a couple chips for brains, and a piece of sheet metal for weight.
Well....sort of. I cant imagine a drill sharpener with a GOOD solid diamond wheel spinning at 4400 rpm in something that weighs under a pound. Kinda like a 8 pound rabid rat in one of those clear hamster balls! And I had a Casio calculator watch in the 70's..us kids though we were living in a magical Star Wars future. :cool::cool:

Sounds like my Drill Doctor needs a steel plate added to give it enough heft to be respectable!

No, of course not.... but keep in mind, these sharpeners also do large, carbide end mills. I think they're in a different class. If it could save a a $45 end mill....Hell, it could look like my ex wife!

I've had a Drill Doctor for about 20 years and agree with the thought that they work well for light sharpening but can be fickle on a heavy grind. If the price was right I'd probably buy it again.

Last edited:
Yeah, gotcha..but I guess I'm saying if you wanted to increase the sizes you wanted to do or if an imperial isn't close enough to a metric/similar size....can you use sizes that didn't come with the unit? I don't see why not, but I am curious.
Any Er 40 collet will work

Welp!! Welp!! I’m so enamored with this drill bit sharpener, that I broke down and bought the MR-13B, the 3 - 13 mm version (I bought myself an early birthday present).

I have sharpened about 50 drill bits today, ranging from 1/2” to 15/16”, it works flawlessly. When the MR-13A gets here, I giving the Drill Doctor(s) to my nephew.

Last edited:
Very good news! I'm sold. Just have to find the 2.5-3mm to 14-15 unit I'd prefer not to order from China directly.

Below is a link to a different company selling a similar sharpener. More expensive but possibly local support.

Roger L

Hopefully local support, the US office is a strip mall at the base of the bridge between Canada and the US, it’s about a block from one of the guys I use to work with.

Back