Does anyone have a Drill Doctor?

Sorry...I was actually considering the one that does 4 through 14mm, that one I believe uses ER20. I don't see why you couldn't use imperial collets, but that would cinch the deal for me. As I'm sure you saw, they have units for end mills as well. Anyway...make a thread on your experience and let us know. The one I want for smaller drills is sold out so it maybe a while for me.

I’m wondering if smaller sized ER40 collets would allow smaller drills to be done on the same machine, we shall see

The wife called today, I’ve been out of town for the last 11 days, hopefully home tomorrow, out of town next week in Binghamton, NY, the the week of November 9th, I’m suppose to be in Hutchinson, KS, we shall see. She was whining about a big heavy box, apparently the drill sharpener has arrived, she said at 56#, I was lucky it made it indoors.

Sweet! I’m excited to hear as I have been practicing hand sharpening some old junk drill bits....I need this sharpener!

DAMN!! This drill bit sharpener is the Cats’-A$$, the first drill bit took me about 30 secs, that includes unwrapping the collet. It’s is so simple, is quiet and works great. The only downfall is the weight, it weigh about 65#. Thats the whole machine along with the 13 collets and it came with a spare grinding wheel.

D587C14A-3528-4260-BC4E-AC893636DAF2.jpeg1D8CCA0A-DA88-4EB9-BE15-98E80DA6EADE.jpegED549A20-2D95-4701-A0BF-2CBC3FE210CD.jpeg

I dunno man, I learned from any decent piece of machinery that weight is a good thing! Not always convenient. I'm glad someone took the plunge before me. Sounds like thumbs up so I'm gonna order, however, I'm getting the 4-14mm version. On that note, I assume your ER collets worked fine?

Shars has an Ebay store. Their holders are fine. Just change out the screws.
I dunno man, I learned from any decent piece of machinery that weight is a good thing! Not always convenient. I'm glad someone took the plunge before me. Sounds like thumbs up so I'm gonna order, however, I'm getting the 4-14mm version. On that note, I assume your ER collets worked fine?

Weight isn't always what you think it might be. Back in the 1970's electronic calculators started replacing mechanical ones. Until that time any "decent" desk calculator weighed a minimum of 5 lbs. The new electronic ones generally weighed 1 lb. or less. They weren't selling all that well so Texas Instruments did a survey of potential customers. They found the main complaint was that customers thought since they weighed only a fraction of their predecessors they must be cheaply built and wouldn't last.

To resolve the weight problem Texas instruments started potting a piece of 16 ga. sheet metal to the bottom of the case. Problem solved the calculators were now more than double their original weight and seen as more durable.

I remember having an Olivetti desk calculator of that vintage. When it finally died I disassembled it thinking there must be some useable parts inside. It turned out to be a keyboard with a couple chips for brains, and a piece of sheet metal for weight.

it came with the collets, they were part of the whole package.

Back