Does anyone have a Drill Doctor?

After watching the video of the gentleman hand sharpening, I have to ask myself, how could the DD750 do that complex of a grind? 3 angles? reducing the web/chisel point? I'd like to learn to hand skills, but I'm not practicing on my Norseman's nor do I have a year of practicing before I can actually sharpen what I need sharp now. ROCK/ME/HARDPLACE. If nothing else, maybe the DD750 get get me through in the interim?

If a person can't figure out how to get good results out of a Drill Doctor, they wouldn't stand a snowball's chance of figuring out a real commercial grinder. If you are smarter than a 4th grader and only have $300 to spend, you will probably like the DD; I sure do. It's made by Darex, it splits points, it leaves a fine finish, and it takes up less space than a transistor radio. Real grinders take setup time that isn't required with the DD. Real grinders are expensive, and can be a lot like buying a mill or lathe when it comes to spending half of the machine's cost again for arbors, grinding wheels, fixtures, and accessories.

That's an interesting grinder you posted a link to on Amazon. It doesn't appear to do 118 and 135 degrees unless you had a specific grinding wheel (?). My concern is support for anything on it. Might be much better than a DD, but buyer beware.

The drill doctor has a collet to mount the bit. There are a couple of fingers to radially align the flutes as you tighten the collet. The detail that the collet drops into at the grinding station can tilt up/down relative to the grinding wheel. I was taught to hand grind by bringing the cutting edge square into the grinding wheel, then twist and lift to grind a relief behind the cutting edge. The DD accomplishes this with a cam on the collet. As you twist the collet, the cam rocks the collet in the detail giving you the same type of relief.

It is what it is for around $125 for a 750X. Meets the needs of 99.99% of hobby machinists. I probably sharpen 200 drill bits a year on it. Still on the original diamond wheel that came with it whatever grit that is after 3 or 4 years. I doubt that Darex (the manufacturer) uses any DD's in their factory to sharpen bits used in their manufacturing process as they have the $1500 Darex models (or better) available. All a matter of what your budget is. Don't expect Cadillac performance for Chevrolet prices, but it will get you from point A to point B.

Bruce

Smarter than a 4th grader is a stretch, but at least the $ is flexible (I have far more money than sense) My biggest concern is are two points, I like to hand sharpen my ridiculously over priced knives on stones. You MUST approach every stroke at the EXACT angle EVERY pass or it will be crap. Secondly, like everyone here, I hate dull drills. The unit from Amazon (it's available everywhere and interestingly, sold out everywhere) seems to sharpen very specific areas only and precisely. What angle that is as Bruce asked is valid. The drills the video showed looked to be a pretty standard 118* and I mainly am concerned about sharpening 135*...so I will research. Peoples experiences seems to really vary with the DD and I have always tuned in when people speak of them. I spend enough time in the shop making tooling and improving my machines, I really don't want to find something else to spend ample time on that takes me away from actually working on my greatest invention...a device that holds keys.

I’ll post a detailed report of the new drill sharpener, when it arrives next week. It’s the one Guns of Navarone posted the link in his earlier post.

Last edited:
No idea why it posted 4 times...Curious if it takes imperial er20 collets as well.

Sorry...I was actually considering the one that does 4 through 14mm, that one I believe uses ER20. I don't see why you couldn't use imperial collets, but that would cinch the deal for me. As I'm sure you saw, they have units for end mills as well. Anyway...make a thread on your experience and let us know. The one I want for smaller drills is sold out so it maybe a while for me.

Back