Does anyone have a Drill Doctor?

I also have a DD 750. I have an odd habit of buying any used drill bit I see (auctions, flea market..), so I get lots of use out of it. Works great for me. Only problem is an occasional bit that it just will not sharpen. Maybe those have an odd twist like others have commented on.?
Pretty sure mine is adjustable between 118 to 135 degrees (have to look to be sure).

The 750X is adjustable from 118 to 135 degrees. Perhaps the early version isn't.

I have a 750x...Works very well when you seat the twist correctly....

The 750X is adjustable from 118 to 135 degrees. Perhaps the early version isn't.
I have the 550 which is about 8 years old and it is adjustable for 118 to 135. I think all DDs are able to do both these angles

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I have a DD 750X, actually it’s my third one, I wore the first two out. I’ve done thousands and thousands of drill bits, never had an issue, I bought a high buck Darex (cheap) at an auction, working on getting all of the necessary parts needed to make it work.

If you follow the instructions CAREFULLY and COMPLETELY it works just fine.
You do have to make sure you have the drill bit aligned properly in the holder, but once all that is in place it's pretty simple.
As always it's a take your time - check your work - and go.

I have a 750x and have been very happy with it. I hand grind anything bigger than 1/2". Attempt to hand grind ones under 1/8".

Bruce

+ 1 here, I have had mine for 4+ years and it will do up to 3/4” drills. It work good and don’t take 12 min using a drill protractor. It will sharpen HSS as well as carbide drill.
CH

A few questions for all of you using the Drill Doctors.

1. What is the monthly or annual volume of drills being sharpened?

2. What is the condition of the drills needing to be sharpened. Are the tips chipped, or just dull?

3. Do you use both the coarse and fine wheels? According to the manual for my older DD750 the coarse wheel is to be used mainly to remove material to eliminate chipped cutting edges, while the fine wheel is for light touchups and finishing.

4. On average how much time is spent on each drill from start to finish, excluding time to split points?

5. Do you sharpen left hand drills?

One thing I noticed on my older DD machine is that while it could handle angles of 118* and 135* it would only handle those 2 specific angles, and standard twist drills. There is no provision (at least that I could find) to sharpen those with a slower or parabolic twist or different point angle. That may not be important to some, but in the last few years I've found the parabolics work better for clearing chips in deep holes. Reducing and in some cases eliminating the need for peck drilling.

The nice thing about the Black Diamond machine is that is has the capability of sharpening any tip angle from 80* to 140*. Another nice feature is with the collet system it can handle fractional drill sizes from 1/16" to to 3/4", numbers sizes from 1 to 70, and letters from A to Z. I currently have collets for all the fractions, letters, and numbers down to #30. I looked into additional number collets, but at $42.00 per copy I can buy a lot of number drills at less than $1.50 per unit before they would be cost effective.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into spending the money for a Black Diamond unit unless you stumble across one in decent shape in a price range similar to what I paid. I'm just noting the differences in capabilities between a "hobby" grade machine, and a "professional" grade one. In my opinion the DD is an adequate machine for low volume basic drill grinding. The BD or other professional grade machines have what I would consider the luxuries, or bells and whistles that come in handy when confronted with a variety of materials, point angles, relief angles, and twists.

I'm looking for a sharpener as we speak. Doing searches here and without reading THIS thread, I feel like I can sum up peoples opinions of the DD750.
I purchased the Norseman 115pc hi moly set and I'm needing a couple sharpened. I'd like a good sharpener...but maybe not $1400 good. I feel like people say the DD does a decent job...once you get it setup right. A lot say it leaves a rough finish...some say they're junk. I know many say just do it by hand. Tried it. I'm not THERE yet. Seems like there has to be a good sharpener sub $300? No? I hate dull drills, honestly it's just easier and sort of cheaper to just replace as you go, though that's wasteful. I really do want to find a viable answer. Found that post someone made recently about a guy that sharpens carbide end mills/bits etc. Maybe that's an answer, I dunno. (Fox Tool Co.)

EDIT
Thoughts on this?
NOT a DD750

Last edited:
Back