Cutting 'large' stock

Is that aluminum? I've never used an angle grinder with a cut-off disk on aluminum - I imagine that it will clog up rapidly. You could mount that part in lathe and just part it off.

No it's steel. I attempted to part it off and broke yet another part off tool - but there's no way I could have parted off all the way through 75mm.

I have a small power hacksaw, and while slowish, it gets the job done. I've gone through 3 blades in two decades. Wouldn't be without it, except I've just purchased a horizontal bandsaw that can also be used vertical. Memories of hacksawing large stock many years ago are not pleasant ones, so I sympathize!
Worth the investment whatever you get.

I am too old now to wait for a power hacksaw. I was fortunate enough 15 years ago during my mill purchase to get a Kalamazoo 9AW thrown in since it fell off a truck and broke the main casting, lost a blade support arm, etc. It was a good first project to fix this up, since then I've had a terrific 9"x16" capacity bandsaw.

My wife challenges me on whether, at 36, I still get to call myself a young man.
I will give the same answer I have for over the past decade and a half. When I was 46, I was in Iraq in full uniform and body armor, carrying a loaded pack, weapon, and ammo.

Trust me, 36 is QUITE young. You got a lot of miles left, make the most of them. Heck, I was almost 36 when I went through Basic Training. At that age I was still climbing mountains, and doing tankless exploration of underwater caves. ;)

If I could only have one saw, I’d lean towards a metal chop saw. It will handle most of what we need to use cut in a hobby shop and is amazing for structural steel projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have opinions on abrasive chop saws? Keeping in mind we're 220v over here, so a relatively cheap, off the shelf cut off saw will be around 3hp. Don't love the idea of all the dust and noise, not to mention manually reefing on it, but will a saw like this handle 50mm+ bar?

Oh yeah it will. I have cut axle shafts with mine, it's a little slow but it beats a hack saw.

The abrasive saw will do the job, I’ve worn a couple out so definitely familiar. It’s worth having even if you have a bandsaw since it will handle hardened steel like shafts and such.

Back