Cutting 'large' stock

When do we break the news to him, that for large plates/sheets of steel will likely need a plasma cutter ;)

Just stay patient and you’ll end up with what you need for what you can afford, I got a cold saw free by hauling off some scrap metal.

You live in a beautiful country, I hope to get back there sometime.

John

Like everyone else has already said, a power hacksaw or bandsaw is definitely what you need/want.
As always with buying used, it's about constantly checking all different sites and being ready to drive quite a bit if you want a good deal.
I use a decently big hacksaw regularly and enjoy it, not as fast as a bandsaw but you start it and do something else for 10 minutes, for solid or thick-walled stock it's amazing. The machine was handed to be me for free because it didn't work, a few seals replaced in the hydraulics and it was good to go.
For smaller or thin walled stuff I'd prefer a little bandsaw since they apply less force to the item being cut.

I've only had one for a few months, but I'm really liking my portable bandsaw in a stand. Mine is similar to the following but a different brand:
13676__56902.1529614989.jpg

I am really tight on space--I don't have the floor space for a 4X6 horizontal. And like New Zealand, prices in Canada are pretty brutal too. I lucked into a 'returned freight' auction where I snagged the portable w/stand for peanuts. I had expected that the blade would be garbage but even it seems to work decently.

If I really want, the portable can be detached from the stand for handheld use. However, I tried that when I first got it and re-attaching it was surprising difficult. If I do it again, I think I'll enlarge the screw clearance holes to make it a bit easier.

Craig

An angle grinder with cutting discs is a really good place to start. No matter what else you aquire an angle grinder is always useful.

Today I spent 40 minutes behind a reciprocating saw, hack saw and grinder to get a slice of 75mm stock. My ears hurt, my arms hurt, my saw hates me. This is not sustainable.

Here is the prodigious bounty for this morning's efforts.

Attachments

• IMG_20220202_093407.jpg
    IMG_20220202_093407.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220202_093346.jpg
    IMG_20220202_093346.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 18
Today I spent 40 minutes behind a reciprocating saw, hack saw and grinder to get a slice of 75mm stock. My ears hurt, my arms hurt, my saw hates me. This is not sustainable.

Agree with you as far as being unsustainable. Keep on searching for that elusive band saw. One will eventually turn up.

My 4x6 bandsaw is in the garage, mostly covered with miscellaneous clutter. It's a pain in the neck to use it that way. (Got to get the garage under control again!) When the weather gets better, (it's been -15C lately) I need to move it to my basement shop. Too cold to work in the garage! It's not the best saw, but it does work. Tons better than the small power hacksaw I have in my shop. The little power hacksaw is ok only for stock 50mm and under.

But you succeeded:cheerful: good job you need a portaband.

Back