Cutting 'large' stock

A metal bandsaw would be ideal...... But, wow, prices in NZ are 3x here in the States.

The next best thing to a hand hacksaw is a powered one. Though a bit of a drive, there's a powered hacksaw on FB Marketplace in Hamilton. Says make an offer.

1643682078991.png

Note: Though the above link says "Log in", clicking on it will still show the saw.

Way North, in Whangarei, theres a Horizontal Bandsaw. $300 nz

1643682583974.png

Last edited:
Closes tomorrow. Good price. Don't know how far it is from you.

I find that a hand held band saw fills most of my needs. There are many brands... Milwaukee, Dewalt, etc, etc. I have a cheap import from Harbor Freight. Occasionally I need more throat depth, but more often than not it is adequate.

No, will do.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm a power hacksaw nerd, so as long as it works I'd say go get it. That looks like a pretty beefy saw I'd guess around 8x8" and a great price if it doesn't have issues.

Theoretically slower than a comparable bandsaw, but hacksaws are fairly simple and more compact than a band saw. Blades are getting harder to find, but are still available. They are also basically start up and go do something else, so even if a bit slower you don't have to sit there holding its hand, most will shut off when the cut is done.

A cheaper option is sometimes a portable bandsaw. I have large horizontal and vertical bandsaws, but I still use the small one. Amazing how well it cuts. I'd still check the ads for a used horizontal first.

Edit: the two posts above this one beat me to it. Better listen to them.

This doesn't too bad, I'm not sure what all that green stuff is. It's twice as much money and maybe too far away to make it feasible.

Back