Current Project

Some of the above pictures were lost i think in the recent hacking....so I have tried to restore them in the proper places. Hope that works.

Bill

More progress on the crankcase today, carving out the top portion to round the front and form the "wing" on the side opposite the flywheel. Tomorrow I hope to get the spaces cut between the fins.

IMG_0607.JPG IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0605.JPG IMG_0606.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I got the spaces between the fins machined with a 1/8" slitting saw. There is still some more detail work to do, especially on the carb/muffler end of the crankcase, but a few more progress pics are shown where things stand now.

IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0609.JPG

Thanks Dave, the gas tank was one of the earlier parts made, I only included it here because jgedde had asked about its fabrication. Like most of the parts, trying to make it look as much like the original has added considerably to the time and effort, but looking back I feel it was worth it.

Bill

Just a couple of pictures from yesterday as to shortening and angling the lowest fin on the pulley side and blending it into the web. Hope to get a bit more done today.

IMG_0624.JPG IMG_0623.JPG

Over the course of Friday and this weekend I managed to round the area under the fins on the front of the crankcase (except for the remaining ledge as shown in the first photo. That is going to require setting the rotary table upright and finishing it off with a ball nose end mill (hopefully tomorrow). The other thing was the raised mounting areas for both the carb and muffler. The results are shown in the next three photos. Overall this came out ok and as shown will be largely hidden by the carb and muffler anyway. Even so they are there as true to the original as practical.

IMG_0625.JPG IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0627.JPG IMG_0626.JPG

Dave, Thanks for looking in...coming along slowly, but still coming along..lol

Bill

Bill, you're doing yourself proud on that engine. Looks very good. Given any thought to clear anodizing it when you are done?

Hi Tony,

Nothing finalized yet on finish though I do not expect to paint it as I think that would detract from it. The crankcase, which is the largest aluminum part will be bead blasted to a matte finish much as has been done to the cylinder head already. I will see how that goes over time. If not satisfactory, then clear anodizing could be a good alternative.

Question though...can clear anodizing be done on a matte finish??

Bill

Yes, matte will anodize just fine. It gets an etch anyway, so really shiny parts need a deep anodize to recover their gloss.

Back