Current Project

b.lindsey

Registered
Registered
For the past couple of years I have been slowly working (very slowly) on this current project, a half scale model of a 1950's Briggs & Stratton 6S engine. The project is nearing completion (hopefully by the end of May). The model has been drawn and made from an original engine I found at a swap meet several years back. All machining has been done on manual equipment and with the exception of some of the larger parts, most of the work has been done on my Sherline lathe and mill. Every effort has been made to try and replicate the original engine as faithfully as possible, even on internal parts that no one will ever see. Below are a few pictures of where the build stands at the moment. If anyone has further interest I would be happy to post some additional pictures.

Bill

IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0460.JPG IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0462.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dave. Yes i have the spark plug, a 1/4"-32 thread which is commercially available for model gas engines. I still have the engine block to finish, valve guides to make and install, and the ignition system which I will get from cncengines.com. That is the only real departure from the full size engine, the lack of a magneto and breakers. I will try to post some other pictures of the internal parts and such in the gallery album.

Bill

HOLY COW! That is awesome Bill!

I know it took some mad skills to form that fuel tank. *Utmost respect*

Wish I had half that much talent.... :-[

I have posted additional pics in my gallery (Bill Lindsey's pics), so as soon as they are approved they should be available to view. Thanks for the interest!!

Bill

Very Cool Bill!
Truly an awesome project. Just how big is it?
I'll be looking for a video of it running for sure!
Ray

Sorry for the delay in responding... had to make a quick trip to Atlanta over the weekend and just getting back. I'll take a pic tomorrow with something like a coffee mug beside it for scale but to put some numbers on it the height from base to the top of the air filter is just over 6 1/2". The width from the front of the shroud to the back of the gas tank is 6 1/4" and the depth from the crank pulley to the tip of the drive shaft on the opposit side is 5 5/8".

For those that asked for something in the picture for scale see the two pictures below...maybe that will help. Several of the pictures in the galery section also show either my hand or something else which may give you an idea of size also. Thanks for the interest.

Bill

B&S Scale 001.jpg B&S Scale 002.jpg

Very impressive Bill, great looking project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a number of little Briggs engines including the 5&6 series.

Thanks for all the nice comments, I got a little done over the weekend in fabricating the valve chamber cover and the stud and nut that hold it to the crankcase. I have attached a few pics of that. I am sure the first attempts to start it will be a well documented as the build has been.

IMG_0539.JPG Valve Cover 009.jpg Valve Cover 007.jpg IMG_0537.JPG

Back