Current Project

So how would that be fed into the intake Brian....still through the carb?

Hi Bill
Either one will do if you have the carb fitted just keep the throttle open. control is by adding or removing the fuel a small blow lamp is perfect.
On the 500 I first primed the engine on the inlet stroke removed the gas turned on the ignition and gave it a spin- BANG:
I tell you its the best bang for your buck you will ever hear.

Second stage was to keep the gas on when running simply move the gas away to controll its quicker to move the lamp than try to turn it off that can be done after, ( remember not to point it at the contact breaker you may just light the blow lamp)

Third stage was to put small amount of petrol in the carb and a whiff of gass to start After this its just getting the adjustments right.

A VERY small amont of oil in the petrol will help top ring lube in the first runs.

Brian, thanks for the clarification...something I will definitely keep in mind when the time comes. Given the way the carb mounts to the back of the crankcase, would probably just be easier to take it odd and direct the propane right at the valve inlet....in a safe manner of course.

Bill

Thanks ETC. Am on vacation this week, but hopefully more progress next week.
Bill

Here are some finished pics of the engine....its been a while since I posted here.

Article Cover Picture.jpg Article Photo 2.jpg Article Photo 3.jpg

Wonderful job, you should be very happy.

How were the sheet metal parts, like the flywheel cover and fuel tank made? Were they formed like the original? And now the obvious question: Does it run? How about a video?

Oh, and welcome back. Hope to see more of your projects in the future. What is next, now that this one is finished?

Tom

Cancel the question about the video...looks like you beat me to it.

Tom,
The gas tank is machined from solid brass in halves and then soldered together with a joining ring. The original was a die stamping then seam welded together. The flywheel cover is plastic for now, made on a 3D printer. Eventually i will replace it with a metal one but still figuring out whether to form it from sheet brass or machine from solid aluminum.

Bill

Way to go, Bill! Glad you didn't forget about us. Mighty fine work.

Back