Current Project

Some more detail work was accomplished on the head this week. The pictures should be pretty self explabatory i think, and it more closely resembles the actual cylinder to crankcase contact area of the original.

IMG_0664.JPG IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0663.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave...thanks for checking in on the build. Shown below are a couple of "family" shots of all of the parts and/or sub-assemblies laid out. It doesn't look like a lot but many if not most of the sub-assemblies are comprised of multiple smaller parts. The carb alone is upwards of 20 separate pieces. Anyway as soon as I finish up the crankcase it will be on to fitting and final assembly.

Just makes me wish I had that amount of skill.

BRIAN

Just read this thread from start to finish, very nice work! 8)

Sweet. I don't think I could stay on one project that long.

Now Bill, you know we're never satisfied. Any chance of a video of it running, when the time comes?

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. There will be a video indeed once I get it running....absolutely, positively. I just hope the darn thing runs!!

We have no doubt in your ability, I am shure it will run first time.

BRIAN.

I hope you are right Brian...there is still a lot that could go wrong...but heck...if it was easy then everybody would be doing it right? :)

I had meant to respond earlier to your comment as to skill level. My take on it is this...most machining jobs, even the complex ones are still just comprised of simpler tasks just done in a stepwise fashion. Experience comes into play in learning which steps need to be done first, second, etc. I still make my share of mistakes, but the goal is to learn from each one and hopefully not repeat it. This is my first ever IC engine and probably wasn't an ideal first IC project (partly why it has taken so long), but I am of the mindset that if I can do it then most anyone with reasonable machining skills can too. At the same time, forums like this are invaluable and I have certainly been the beneficiary of the talents and guidance and shop wisdom of many far more talented that me.

Bill

Hi Bill

May I make the suggestion that when the time comes that you make the first start on propane, the mixture is not critical and it can be removed instantly. It proves the ignition first so you can worry about the carb after. on the 500 I progressively moved from gas to petrol.

Regards BRIAN:

Back