Cromwell S800 Mk3 lathe

Cut the drive slot for the tail stock adjustment screw. This was a bit of a practise run for cutting the slot in the cross feed drive shaft. So far so good.
Still need to make the adjustment screw retainer. I have no reference photos of these parts so am just doing what I think will work.

IMG_2595.JPGIMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG IMG_2596.JPG

Tried cutting a keyway in the 5/9" silver steel. The 2 cutters I had borrowed didn't like it at all. Went and bought a length of 5/8" bright 1045 bar and ordered a new 3mm HSS slitting saw blade.
Made a start on the idler pulley wheel. The thin belt means I can use a small diameter pulley. I've got some 13x6mm flanged bearings lying around that will be perfect and also a 13mm reamer. The wear on my old lathe means I cannot bore a hole 45mm long without it being tapered, the Cromwell should be way superior.

IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Drilled bored and reamed the idler pulley. Nice bearing fit. Now to mount it to the lathe.

IMG_2607.JPGIMG_2613.JPGIMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

Last edited:
Made the mount from 10mm ali plate and some .050" titanium I had laying around. I need to remake the titanium side plates for more belt clearance but the concept is going to work.

IMG_2622.JPG IMG_2625.JPG IMG_2628.JPG

Last edited:
Made new pulley mounts to give more clearance for each side of the belt. I could get another couple of millimeters out of it but will see how this works out as they say an inch is as good as a mile. Ground away some of the pulley hole as well.

IMG_2629.JPG IMG_2631.JPG

Last edited:
Now I am happy with the belt run I have started on the motor mount. First job to cut a 70mm hole in the plate. The pictures say it all.

IMG_2634.JPG IMG_2636.JPG IMG_2637.JPG

Last edited:
Milled the faces of the motor mount and also a recess for additional belt clearance. Transfer punched the motor mount holes and centre drilled then drilled them.

IMG_2641.JPG IMG_2645.JPG

Last edited:
Fabricated an adapter for the motor mount plate to connect to the tension adjusting plate. I think there is enough weight in it for sufficient belt tension.

IMG_2647.JPG IMG_2648.JPG IMG_2650-001.JPG

Last edited:
Got the final holes done on the mount and cold galved it. It has been one of those fitting jobs where the parts are on and off quite a few times. Ready for the final fit now. Before I run up the motor I want to make the linear slider for the speed control. I need to convert linear motion to rotary motion for the control potentiometer. This is where the 3D printer will come into play.

IMG_2654.JPG

Last edited:
This is great stuff Rod. Keep it coming. And you do nice work.

:clapping:

Back