Cromwell S800 Mk3 lathe

Drew up and printed the top of the speed control power supply box. It supplies variable +-10v to the servo drive.

IMG_2688.JPG IMG_2691.JPG

Last edited:
Finished off the servo speed control box. Started on the front panel electrics. First up is an RCD for the main power supply. I will print an enclosure for this and also one for the forward/reverse switch, servo on/off and servo reset.

IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2695.JPG

Last edited:
Making more parts on the 3D printer. A magnet holder on the back of the spindle for the RPM counter and a housing for the forward reverse switch, servo on switch and servo fault reset button. Have also done the permanent servo mounting so I should be able to run the machine shortly.

IMG_2705.JPG IMG_2701.JPG

Got the servo wired up ran up the lathe. It is working as I had hoped. I've attached a little video of it accelerating up and down in forwards and reverse.

View attachment MVI_2711.AVI

IMG_2708.JPG

Last edited:
Got the RPM sensor fitted and made a power supply for it. The power supply is an old wall wart with a 12v regulator and a connector block on a piece of vero board glued to it. I ran it up to just over 1000 rpm, I don't think it will do 2000as spec'd but is plenty fast enough.

IMG_2719.JPG IMG_2715.JPG IMG_2714.JPG

Started the repair to the top slide. The plan is to screw and silver solder a steel insert to the cast top slide. I have been quite apprehensive about doing this as it quite a complex shape. Started by milling the top slide. Am preserving as much of the metal surrounding the clamping screw hole as possible.

IMG_2721.JPG

I made a template for the steel insert and transferred it to some steel stock. Roughed it out on my fibre disc cut off saw. Milled it and hand fitted it with a file.

IMG_2725.JPG IMG_2724.JPG

Screwed and silver soldered the repair part onto the top slide. Mounted it on the rotary table and machined the edge, then surfaced the base. Finally drilled the hole for the clamping bolt and filed down the excess solder on top.

IMG_2730.JPG IMG_2736.JPG IMG_2738.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job. Great fit up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely work Rod. I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. Nice work on the cross slide.

Paul.

Back