Cromwell S800 Mk3 lathe

Thanks Randy
Congratulations on your 1000 posts.
Rod

Thanks Randy
Congratulations on your 1000 posts.
Rod

:laughinghard: Rod, I hadn't even noticed. Thanks for pointing that out. Keep up the good work, sure looks like you know what you are doing. Thank you for sharing your fun.

Making another top slide retaining bolt. I need an edge finder to mill the flats. Am working on an electronic one, the first version not 100% successful. I need to breadboard it so I can swap connections around.
IMG_2545.JPGIMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG IMG_2545.JPG

Work has been interfering with the lathe project over the last couple of weeks and it is too cold in the workshop at night.
6mm keyway broach arrived from China. Despite protection in a wooden box it still arrived broken. I have had a lot of items from international destinations and this is the first to be damaged. All is well though as it is a draw broach and cuts the full depth in one pass. There is still plenty of material to modify it for my broach press.
IMG_2552.JPG
Independent 4 jaw chuck also arrived. This will also need to be modified to fit the adapter plate.
IMG_2554.JPG
One of my colleagues at work gave me an old meter which I can adapt to an RPM meter. Will mount a new voltmeter unit inside the housing and get new scale artwork.
IMG_2556.JPG
Original had dual scale for the back gear speed. I will duplicate the original cast housing with a 3D printed part.
Fullscreen capture 16082014 105615 a.m..jpg

IMG_2552.JPG IMG_2556.JPG IMG_2554.JPG Fullscreen capture 16082014 105615 a.m..jpg

Cut off a piece of 65mm free machining aluminium bar for the motor pulley. Did a bit at a time with other jobs in between, chucked it up and faced and drilled. Next to bore for the motor shaft.
IMG_2558.JPGIMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2558.JPG IMG_2559.JPG

Finished off the pulley. Of course I had to make a broach guide. Shortened the broach (even more than its broken state). Am pleased with the fit.
The motor shaft has a thread on the end so will use that to hold the pulley on.

IMG_2576.JPGIMG_2570.JPGIMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG IMG_2570.JPG IMG_2576.JPG

Removed the original huge DC motor from the mount, it will need a good clean up. Due to the tortuous route of the belt the motor is going to end up closer to the spindle so I'm hoping I will still be able to use this mount.

IMG_2578.JPG

IMG_2578.JPG

Took the spindle off again and fitted the continuous belt. As you can see it will need an idler pulley to guide it through the back belt aperture. Looks like there is plenty of length in the belt and also may not need an idler at the motor end. Have also been working on the electronics for the servo controller. Not especially difficult but it has been quite time consuming.
IMG_2583.JPGIMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG IMG_2583.JPG IMG_2587.JPG

Progress has slowed due to work commitments, however I have some time off now. Got the servo running today, it seems to have plenty of low speed power and runs very smoothly up to full rpm. Got one of my friends, an electronics engineer to look over it before I powered it up. Still a little tuning to be done.

DSC_0600.jpg

DSC_0600.jpg

Got the motor mount cleaned up and undercoated. I will make the adapter mount before I paint it so it can all be done at once. Before I make the adapter though I will need to make an idler pulley for the belt.

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

Back