Cromwell S800 Mk3 lathe

A set of 16 DP cutters arrived from China today. All set to cut back gears now. I dug out my dividing head, now have to refamiliarise myself with its operation because the last time I cut a gear was over 10 years ago. I am just waiting on the drive belt now.
IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

Working on the next lot of parts for painting. The apron and cross feed drive rod end support casting has been smashed then brazed up at some point. Put filler on it ready for painting.
I wasn't happy with the first lot of filler, took it off and used a better quality product.
Also managed to straighten the gearbox shaft to free up its rotational movement.

Your doing a wonderful job on the restoration, that will be a very nice looking machine when your done and be a lathe some character, well done....!:))

Your doing a wonderful job on the restoration, that will be a very nice looking machine when your done and be a lathe some character, well done....!:))

Thanks Don. I am getting to the more difficult part of the restoration now, the stripping and painting is pretty straight forward. I have a few more parts to paint but am nearly finished. I have nearly procured all the materials and equipment to finish it. First job is to get this gear cutter holder trued up and turn a new shoulder for the cutter as the one on it is undersize at 0.962". I have to get a new drawbar for this mandrel as it is imperial thread. Most of my tooling is metric so I am needing to get some more taps and a die or 2.

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

Cut shoulders in the arbour for the gear cutter and slitting saw. As you can see I did it in situ on the mill/drill. A bit unconventional but it has to be true.

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

Nice setup. Unconventional is not a problem as long as it got the job done. In my opinion, as long as the parts come out the way you want them, it makes no difference how you get there.

I made the final cut on my last mandrel the same way, but simply clamped the tool holder in the milling vice. The gear cutter sounds different running with zero runout.
Greg

Undercoated some more parts, quite a bit of masking required for these. Once they are done I can start reassembling the gearbox. I am still waiting on the drive belt which I need before I can reinstall the spindle.

IMG_2408.JPGIMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG IMG_2408.JPG

Sanded the parts and put another undercoat on them. The two biggest back gears were also painted so they got some undercoat too. Made collars and keyways for the slitting saw/gear cutting mandrel. Now I am pretty much tooled up to make the back gears and cross slide drive shaft.
IMG_2415.JPGIMG_2418.JPGIMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2415.JPG IMG_2418.JPG IMG_2425.JPG IMG_2423.JPG

Nice day for painting. Just the louvre doors and steadys to paint now.
IMG_2426.JPGIMG_2429.JPGIMG_2431.JPGIMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG IMG_2429.JPG IMG_2431.JPG IMG_2434.JPG

Back