Cromwell S800 Mk3 lathe

Looking great! Please keep us updated and keep the pics coming!

Prepared more parts for painting. I'm doing the biggest parts first. Also took the auto feed reversing gearbox off and cleaned it. The fits on this machine are really nice and the machine seems to have little wear just signs of abuse (my rescue lathe;-).

IMG_2291.JPG IMG_2292.JPG IMG_2293.JPG

Last edited:
Got the undercoat on. A couple of parts will need to harden and be turned over to paint the other side. You guys will have to excuse me if this gets repetitive but I want to document the complete build.

IMG_2295.JPG

Last edited:
There are a few parts missing from this lathe, fortunately I have all the castings except one of the sliding door guides which I can fabricate. One of the parts missing is the gear on the end of the spindle, I will make the parts myself.
The gear is 16DP and I am assuming it has the same number of teeth as the output gear on the reverser ie 25am also assuming it has a 14 1/2degree PA but will measure that. It has a 1/8" keyway so I have ordered a keyway broach off Ebay. I will also be making a couple of 30T back gears for metric threading and whatever I need to do the thread on a chuck backplate and faceplate.

Keyway broach.JPG

Nice work Rod. While living in Norway I have been frantically buying machines as there is a huge selection of European machines here. I noticed while living in Queensland that machines like your Cromwell were very rare. I knew a number of shop owners and all their machines were Taiwanese. You're doing a great job and it's wonderful that you found a keeper.

Paul.

Nice work Rod. While living in Norway I have been frantically buying machines as there is a huge selection of European machines here. I noticed while living in Queensland that machines like your Cromwell were very rare. I knew a number of shop owners and all their machines were Taiwanese. You're doing a great job and it's wonderful that you found a keeper.

Paul.

Hi Paul
Thanks for your kind words, early days yet though.
I was looking at Chinese machines but these older machines have artistry in their castings.
Rod

Prepared the head casting for undercoating.Took out both bearings and the pulley. I was a bit apprehensive about this but it worked out fine. I took the pulley out so I will be able to fit the continuous belt I have on order, also was able to give the whole thing a good clean out.
Also able to undercoat the reverse sides of the parts I did the other day. Quite a bit of masking to be done. The lathe has had 2 colours applied to it since it's original blue. which is still quite soft. It is early winter here but a very mild 13 Deg C low, however I am going to cook these smaller parts in my heater box for a more rapid cure.

IMG_2304.JPG IMG_2307.JPG IMG_2308.JPG

Last edited:
Got some top coat on today. A couple of small runs on the head so I will sand and repaint as I do the other parts. Still another 10 or so parts to do, mostly small though.

IMG_2310.JPG

Last edited:
More of the same . Painting the reverse sides of the parts done the other day and repainting the head. The head repaint didn't go so well with some reaction with the earlier coat. Just need to spray lighter coats at first so the thinners flashes off before it can react with the underlying coats. Preparing more parts. Learnt about hammer screws, the little rivet like fixings holding the naming plates on.

IMG_2335.JPG IMG_2337.JPG IMG_2338.JPG

Last edited:
Back