Cromwell S800 Mk3 lathe

Yet more painting. I used epoxy undercoat this time as I had some mixed up for another project. I have used this a lot before but I find the polyester undercoat more forgiving. However I think the epoxy is tougher. The keyway broach arrived today. By the time I have finished the painting I should be able to start making the missing parts.

IMG_2340.JPG IMG_2342.JPG IMG_2344.JPG

Last edited:
I'm starting to think about reassembly now most of the painting is done. Working through the gearbox assembly. I need to make a 1/2"x 1" bearing for the left hand gear ratio shaft.

IMG_2353.JPG IMG_2356.JPG

Last edited:
I am missing a bearing for the end of bottom shaft in these pictures. It looks to be bronze in the picture of a complete machine from the lathes.uk site. It looks to me like it also needs a retaining thrust washer on the inside. Probably 1/8" steel. Hopefully Valleyboy101 will come to my rescue here.

img19.jpg IMG_2362.JPG IMG_2365.JPG

Last edited:
This is the kind of arrangement I have in mind for the bearing and how to retain the shaft.

Bushing-001.jpg

Last edited:
Servo and controller arrived today. No instructions or D25 pinout, but how hard can it be:thinking: From the online documentation it should run in velocity mode with just a 50K potentiometer. Most likely Mach 3 documentation will sort me out.

IMG_2370-001.JPG

Last edited:
Of course I emailed the Chinese company I got the servo and drive from about documentation. They came back very quickly with a request for my email so they can send the manual. That should be problem sorted:))

Made the bush for the gearbox shaft. One of my friends gave me a piece of bronze and I got a second hand 1/2" reamer.
Got a good fit but the shaft must be slightly bent as it is a wee bit tight in one quadrant when rotated.
I still need to drill the oil hole and make an oil groove. Then make the thrust bearing.

IMG_2376.JPGIMG_2377.JPGIMG_2379.JPGIMG_2378.JPG

Took the pulley off the original motor and it is a nice fit on the new one just needs a bit of adjustment to the key.
Instructions arrived for the servo controller.
IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

Last edited:
Working on the next lot of parts for painting. The apron and cross feed drive rod end support casting has been smashed then brazed up at some point. Put filler on it ready for painting.
I wasn't happy with the first lot of filler, took it off and used a better quality product.
Also managed to straighten the gearbox shaft to free up its rotational movement.

IMG_2381.JPG IMG_2383.JPG IMG_2384.JPG

Last edited:
Waterjet cut some rubber washers for the front panel fasteners. I tried one out and they work really well to rubber isolate the panel:))
IMG_2390.JPGIMG_2391.JPGIMG_2397.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

The previous owner had the the detail parts chromed. That meant the tailstock locking arm didn't fit anymore so I opened out the hole in 0.1mm increments till it fitted. This tailstock differs from others I have seen in that the barrel seems to be shorter and the adjustment mechanism is on the back. Both the adjustment mechanism and the T nut screw/drawbar are missing so I will need to make them.
IMG_2392.JPGIMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

Last edited:
Great work Rod. I am really enjoying watching you bring the old girl back to life.

Paul.

Back