Craftsman 101.28990 12" Metal Lathe - Refurb

Thanks Mickri, I thought it was in the out position. I wonder why it's not free wheeling since the pin is out? I'll soak it some more, can I tap it in to loosen? I'm noodling on some ideas to fix the transvers gear case. Thanks!

Is the back gear engaged? If it is the gear won't freewheel. Takes a fair amount of force to turn the gear when the back gear is engaged on my lathe.

Also the hole and the pin have to be lined to be able to push that pin in. Otherwise it will only move a little bit. Disengage the back gear. Then move the pulley with light pressure on the pin. When the hole and the pin are lined up the pin will slip into place. Also there are two holes in the pulley 180 degrees apart that the pin can slip into on my lathe.

Last edited:
I checked ebay and there are some transverse gear cases there but pricey - half as much as I paid for the lathe and tooling! But at least there is an option there. This lathe is really gooed and parts are just about frozen. This is the motor under version and I see the back gear lever is tight and frozen. I think I'll have to remove the headstock to get in from underneath and see if I can get things moving. Any easy way to remove the headstock from the bed? Turn it on it's side? Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it. - Jim

I don't think that you need to take the head stock off to start with. Do you have the manual for your lathe? If not here is a link where you can download a copy from Vintage Machinery. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/6137.pdf. I would start by saturating all of the lubrication points with PB Blaster, WD40 or whatever is your favorite. Carb or brake cleaner might also help. CAVEAT. After doing this be sure to properly lubricate the lathe before using it. The proper lubricant is a 30 wt oil that is no longer available. The modern equivalent is AW46 or AW68 hydraulic oil. Most places want to sell it in 5 gallon pails. I was able to get 1 gallon of AW46 at O'Riely's. A lifetime supply.

You will also want to grease the gears once everything is freed up. I just use whatever I have on hand. But some greases will collect chips and swarf. Robert will chime in here on the proper grease to use.

I have the same lathe as you do except mine is the bench top model.

First, I would only remove the headstock from the bed as a last resort.

The main requirement on the grease for the open gears is that it should be rated for high temperature operation, at least 300 degrees F. The original factory recommended grease hasn't been made since shortly after the French company Total bought the maker.

Also, there is actually no such thing as a 30 wt grease and never has been. The proper oil to use where oil is specified is SAE 20, not SAE 30. The ISO equivalent is ISO 68 if you have trouble finding SAE 20 ND. It may be described as hydraulic or circulating oil. Do not use multi-viscosity motor oil, not because it is multi-viscosity so much as because it will contain an additive that absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and never gets hot enough to blow it out the tailpipe as it does in an engine application. Also, oil described as "way oil" is OK to use on the ways and the carriage and tail stock gibs. It will stay on or cling to the vertical surfaces of the ways better that straight SAE 20.

The bull gear is not free wheeling for the simple reason that it is locked in place on the spindle by a Woodruff key and a set screw. The pulley on the spindle is free wheeling relative to the spindle if the Direct Drive pin is pulled out. And what looks like a set screw in the (in the case of a cabinet model lathe) 2-groove pulley is actually an oil plug. It MUST NOT touch the spindle when tightened. This is an unfortunately fairly common error that too many new owners make.

On the subject of manuals and parts lists, there are several in our Downloads module. Along with drawings with which to make some of the NLA parts. But access to Downloads requires Donor status (and reading the instructions for use). The best manual on the late 12" happens to be the one on the Atlas 3996, which differs from the 101.28990 only in having Atlas on the badge and nameplate instead of Craftsman. It is a pet peeve of mine that very few people who have a scanner have even a clue as to how to operate it. One of these days I may find the time to clean up one of the Craftsman manuals and correct several minor errors in it.

Last edited:
a new transverse gear case. Anybody have one or know where I can get it? Thanks - Jim
Jim:

There is a seller on Ebay who machines a good copy of the traverse gear case 10F-11 or you can still buy one from Clausing, though it's a lightweight one much like the original.

Also, if you are interested in making one, I have as-built Fusion 360 drawings, which I can email to you. Just PM me. Lastly, I have one left over out of a lot that I machined out of CRS to include a brass bushing, which is available for sale. It looks like the Fusion rendering shown below.

Bill
Atlas Traverse Gear Case v5.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Gentlemen, thanks to you all for your comments for my education. I am well experienced in referbing old wood working machinery but this is my first foray in a metal lathe. I am a newbie here but learning and enjoying it a lot, so thanks again. Great information on the oils, and I will pursue the atlas manual - I have the craftsman 101.28990 manual from vintage machinery. Bill, thanks for the information on the copies on eBay, I’ll take a look. - Jim

I had some time today and spent some of it cleaning the QC. It's in good shape but I saw that the change gears on the quadrant were frozen. Specifically the gear sleeves were stuck inside the bushings. I was able to tap our the sleeves and they are fine now but the gears are tightly frozen on the bushings. I can see from the parts diagram that they are free from the gears but you never know so, for this model from the 70s, are the gears supposed to be free and sliding on the bushings - or not. I don't want to break them so thought I'd ask here. Boy are they on there tight... Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Back