Craftsman 101.28990 12" Metal Lathe - Refurb

Here's some pics. AFAIK it's the original Craftsman chuck purchased with the lathe. I have the box and the other set of jaws. I tried whacking it around the edge with a plastic hammer - nothing. Tried a little heat too - nothing. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
It separates in the at the line through the pinion centers.

use a wooden dowel (brass also works) held against the scroll and smack it with a mallet. Go around each jaw position in turn and keep smacking until it separates. Just make sure all possible screws are removed first!

Your chuck is identical to mine. I used a wood block in the center of the chuck and smacked it with a hammer. A 1 1/2" wood dowel is best because it will make contact all the way around. The backing plate is a very tight, precise fit. If you don't have a 1 1/2" dowel and have to hit around the edges of the thread you will need to use lighter taps to keep the backing plate from cocking as it comes out.

My 3 jaw is a Cushman,also, though a little different.
Was caked with dried oil and grit.
Had to grind the jaws,also, .020 bell mouth.
I think it might be original to the 1947 SB 9.

Hello all, I finally found some time to start putting the lathe back together after cleaning all the components over the winter. I have some questions on where the rubber bushings go - I don’t remember from when I disassembled it. I checked the owners manual but the parts schematic is not clear. This is the under carriage model. Do the rubber washer bushings go between the tray and the legs/cabinet or between the rail legs and the tray? Wasn’t clear to me. Thanks for your help. - Jim

The drawing isn't completely clear as it does show the rubber seal as below the pan but also shows the nut and lockwasher with it (above the leg). But mine purchased new had the seals in between the pan and the top of the cabinet and leg. This generally makes sense as if they were between the bed legs and the pan, they would cause difficulty with inserting or removing shims.

Back