Community Build 1 SOSE

I have a local supplier, but I'm sure Vega is available many places. Emuge is another premium tap. And then there are the coatings. Quite a few to choose from depending on what material you are tapping. Let me know when you need taps, I may have some with plenty of life left in them I can furnish.

And you're most welcome.

John,
The bearings that Hawkeye did comes in at 0.250" and the crank that Scrapmetal is doing I am not sure of the dimension. I was going to make the axle .250", but I am waiting for final dim's before I do them. 0.249 should be OK for press fit on axle, maybe just have to add a little heat to the crank and flywheel to get them on the axle. The bearing or axle might have to be worked to make it a running fit.
Paul

Thanks Paul,

I made the first one reamed to .250. A .2500 gauge plug is a snug but sliding fit. I'll keep that one for myself, and just put it on with Loctite. The rest I'll make 0.249.

Here's a sneak preview...

John

flywheel wip.jpgflywheel face after parting.jpgvoila.jpg

flywheel face after parting.jpg flywheel wip.jpg voila.jpg

John, that looks great. Nice work.

Turbo, I think the V bit may be the best approach. We'll have to dress it a bit with a rat-tail file to get the slip fit. That way, we get the best compromise between sliding in and still adding some support for the bushing.

Considering that small drill bits can drift off center pretty easily, a carefully made bar template that can be clamped to the stock will guide the drill to a consistent result. That could be used loose on the drill press. Then you'd only have to mark up once. All your holes could be drilled in one setup.

Thanks Paul,

I made the first one reamed to .250. A .2500 gauge plug is a snug but sliding fit. I'll keep that one for myself, and just put it on with Loctite. The rest I'll make 0.249.

Here's a sneak preview...

John

View attachment 356View attachment 355View attachment 357

Looks great John. Since you are going with the .249" I'll shoot for the same with the crank.

I was able to put the stock into the chuck and centered it on Tuesday but was in meetings all day today. With luck I'll have some time tomorrow to start making some chips.

-Ron

Turbo,
I would just make a jig on your mill and only use the template to punch the first hole, then put the next frame in and drill the same hole in each frame, then move jig to the next hole and do the same. This works as long as the frames are all the same size. It will go quick that way. You can use the template to check hole location before drilling. Your holes might get bigger if you try to drill thru the template, a little bit each times adds up. It's easier to line up a center mark than a O.D. of a hole. This is just my way to skin the cat. Some people just set the dividers and scribe each piece then drill.
Paul

Yes, Turbo. That's what I had in mind.

Excellent, looks like a fair amount of progress is getting made!
A week and a half and i'll be home to replace that busted drive belt and finish those pistons.

Turbine, It's all about the journey. But if time is that tight, everyone will understand the lack of pics.

Looks like everyone is getting their projects started, I'm a little behind. Got the 1018 in today for the base. Should look real sharpe after it's ground & polished.
A pic for Turbine.

Oooh, virgin metal. :p ;)

I'll have to take a pic of the 303 SS in the chuck just so it looks like I've done something. Work/life/stuff has really gotten in the way this week.

-Ron

Actually got to face the stock today but now I have a question. This is my first time working with SS. Facing was "interesting" to say the least. As my saw cut the bar at an angle, the facing was pretty much all interrupted cuts. First time for that as well :p I had to deal with quite a bit of chatter alsol telling me that I was doing something "not right". :confused: Seems there is going to be a lot of "firsts" on this little project (this is actually a good thing for me).

Anyone have any tips for working with SS?

Fire away guys, enlighten me. ;)

Thanks,

-Ron

Actually got to face the stock today but now I have a question. This is my first time working with SS. Facing was "interesting" to say the least. As my saw cut the bar at an angle, the facing was pretty much all interrupted cuts. First time for that as well :p I had to deal with quite a bit of chatter alsol telling me that I was doing something "not right". :confused: Seems there is going to be a lot of "firsts" on this little project (this is actually a good thing for me).

Anyone have any tips for working with SS?

Fire away guys, enlighten me. ;)

Thanks,

-Ron

Ron,

303 stainless? It should machine like a dream. Run your lathe at about 200-500 RPM. Coolant is not necessary with carbide, but soluable oil or sulphurized pipe threading oil works well.

What are you using for a cutting tool?

It's hard to point you in the right direction without being there. Can you take a picture of your setup?

John

Back