Community Build 1 SOSE

Well, the 303 SS showed up today so hopefully I will have some time this weekend to get it in the chuck.

-Ron

The main bearings are finished. I made 10 of them in case any got ruined. Any glitches were recoverable, so all are usable. I did break a couple of bushings, but had enough spares to continue. Remeber that these bushings aren't brass. They are sintered bronze - made of particles of bronze compressed in a mold and heated. This makes them porous. They are filled with oil for good lubrication.

Let's see if I can post the pics. The first shows the flange with the bushing pressed in and dressed to finished length. In this shot the oil hole is being drilled. This is so those of us that just want to make sure can add a drop to the main shaft every now and then. When you are assembling your engine, you will, of course, want the oil hole at the top.
PA080028a.jpg

The next picture shows the bolt holes being drilled in the flange.
PA080030a.jpg

The last piccie is the whole fleet of finished bearings.
PA080033a.jpg

PA080028a.jpg PA080030a.jpg PA080033a.jpg

Last edited:
Hawkeye,

How hard is it to machine the sintered bronze? Any idiosyncrasies or issues with it? Just curious.

Thanks,

-Ron

Thanks, Ed.

Ron, you have to be gentle with these bushings. If you feed in too aggressively, you can snap it off. Both HSS and carbide work well. It comes off as an oily powder.

Last edited:
Actually, when I pressed the bushings into the flanges, a live of oil appeared around the bushing.

Brittle and bleeding, I can identify with that. :) From what little I've now read about "oil impregnated sintered bronze" it appears to be very useful stuff.

-Ron

"Oilite" is a nice product. Bronze with a lot of airspace that is packed with lubricant. If you press it into place, you will see oil ooze out. Perfectly normal to see it. Of course, it's not like a ball bearing.....but for bushings, it's hard to beat. It can be purchased in premade sizes, or in a rough bar that can be finish machined to final dimensions.

Who is making the pivot pin and do we want the frame hole to be .156 as called for on the drawings?

The pressure is rising to perform and I know I'm going to screw this up, just don't know how bad yet.

Turbo

Don't sweat it. I'm sure I'll screw up worse than you. :p

-Ron

"Screwing up" is a valuable part of learning. Don't worry about that at this stage. I know many of you guys are undertaking this project as perhaps the first one that has to be held to certain specifications. I'm sure there will be mistakes made, but no one is going to get hurt beyond their possible embarrassment. That's nothing for a machinist. If you do make a mistake, just be sure and figure out exactly what happened, and how to avoid repeating it. That's why it is worth tackling a job that maybe you didn't think you could do.

Back