[How-To] Cleaning up a torched edge

It’s hard to actually say.
The cut price from Island Plate was $133. I think they quoted $86 for just the plate. So $38 for cutting.
This piece was $166 on a quote of $150 depending on cut time.
It’s 10 linear feet of cutting plus some setup time. Using the Island Plate cost for the steel I’d guesstimate the cutting at about $60?

What’s interesting is that all four edges have the same cut marks so they didn’t cut the corner off a sheet.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That doesn't seem like a bad price to me. Obviously more expensive than doing it yourself, but it looks to me like you got what you paid for.

Regards

That doesn't seem like a bad price to me. Obviously more expensive than doing it yourself, but it looks to me like you got what you paid for.

Regards

Considering how long it would have taken me to cut the edges using a grinder with questionable quality I’m completely happy!

Reactions: tjb
Considering how long it would have taken me to cut the edges using a grinder with questionable quality I’m completely happy!
I knew you would like it!
I am not sure quite how it works, but I think there is abrasive in the water jet, and some kind of very trick nozzle to feed it into the jet without it wearing out the nozzle. I think this way, without all the heat, and modifying the material properties at the edge, is definitely the best.

Losing all the hassle for 38 bucks to end up with perfection sounds very fair to me.

As for shearing, you would get the distorted, work-hardened edge. This would be OK if said edge's future was to become part of a line of welding. In my view, for anything else, it would then need a whole lot of work to get it presentable.

I knew you would like it!
I am not sure quite how it works, but I think there is abrasive in the water jet, and some kind of very trick nozzle to feed it into the jet without it wearing out the nozzle. I think this way, without all the heat, and modifying the material properties at the edge, is definitely the best.

Losing all the hassle for 38 bucks to end up with perfection sounds very fair to me.

As for shearing, you would get the distorted, work-hardened edge. This would be OK if said edge's future was to become part of a line of welding. In my view, for anything else, it would then need a whole lot of work to get it presentable.

Correct, the water is only a transport media for the Almandine garnet (sand), which is what actually does the cutting. The facility that does our cutting for Boeing can cut up to 8" thick aluminum plate and 6" thick titanium plate. Pretty cool to watch. Mostly used in these thicknesses to create near net shapes. Huge reduction in machining cost. They have special programs that create nesting profiles that doesn't leave a lot of excess scrap so it is a true benefit. The larger scrap pieces bring a much higher dollar value over oil soaked chips too.

What Papa said.
The nozzles are ceramic to reduce wear from the abrasives, but the nozzle is still considered a consumable, and just part of the cost. They know just how many feet of cut they get per nozzle. When the nozzle starts to wear out, the kerf just gets wider. They can run a nozzle until the kerf gets to an unacceptable width. They just have to keep adjusting the program to account for kerf width so that the final part is in tolerance.

I would have liked to see it be cut actually.
I’m confident that I’ll use them again. All I have to do is send a CAD file and material specs.

$150 doesn't sound bad for what you got! ;)
nice base to start!

Thanks Doc!
I’m super excited about starting my welding table.
With my new found space in my shop I think it will be a good fit.

You do know/realize that it is another flat space to put things on.......Right??? :)

Oh yeah.
I’m always fighting the entropy!

Back