Clausing 6300 x 12"

Hey JB, Here's a couple of pics I took just this morning. I hope this will helps. I'm thinking that your gearbox should be very similar to mine if not the same thing. It's a pic of the blue print I'm guessing so that it can be remade. I think it would be nice to have all that information engraved on that piece of plexiglass or whatever it is. That's what I'm intending for mine anyway.
If it isn't right then you can call clausing and ask them to send you a blue print. If you don't want to do that, let me know if you want me to make a copy and send it to you. I think your in central California, right? Your not that far away.
Ed

jpg_0149.JPG jpg_0150.JPG jpg_0149.JPG jpg_0150.JPG

Hey GrandTools,
So what do you want for the bearings anyway?
Maybe it would be easier to ship the headstock piece by piece, @#@#@# Just kidding.
Ed

Ok, finally getting back with you here. I got tied up in a big project the past few weeks and didn't have much time, sorry. Anyway, I cleaned up the bearings and they look really good for used bearings. I want $35 for the set. As far as the headstock goes, most of it is there. The spindle is out, the chuck retaining nut is gone, the bull gear is there, the feed drive gears are there, along with the shifter, the drive pulley/gear. It looks like a few parts aren't there as I sold a few things from it a year or so ago. If you are interested in something specific we can check exactly what is there or not. That head is really heavy, I didn't weigh it, but guessing its 100# or so, making shipping a real killer. Just posting this & the pics to give you an idea of whats left.

drill n headstock 004.JPG drill n headstock 005.JPG drill n headstock 006.JPG drill n headstock 004.JPG drill n headstock 005.JPG drill n headstock 006.JPG

Bearings

Hey Grandtools,
I apolgize for not getting back to you sooner. I was confused on exactly how to use this website because of the changes.
I'll take those bearings and I'll hold off on that spindle for now. I may just get that from you later.
Just let me know where to send the money.
Ed

Yeah, the new format is confusing, this is the first time I've been here since the change. It would be best for you to contact me at: lathemill@juno.com to complete the bearing deal. Doug

Re: Clausing 6300 x 12"

Ok, Finally got my bearings!!!
I am in the the middle of trying to deal with an issue at work (my real job) and so when I can figure out what is going on, I am planning to start putting this head stock back together. In order to do this, there a couple of issue's to attend to.
I'll have to refurbish the spindle chuck nut and that's another issue all together. The nut has several holes which are used for the spanner and these holes are in pretty bad shape. I'd like to fill these hole by welding them then remachining the holes. I think this a viable alternative to spending more than $400.00 for a brand new nut from Clausing.
And of course, I must clean and inspect my spindle for trueness.
So I'll see what else comes up.
Ed

Re: Clausing 6300 x 12"

Welding will probably distort that nut unless you pre and post heat it. Likely to even then, but much less. Can you just cold plug them and drill holes between the old locations?

Back