Clausing 6300 x 12"

Re: Clausing 6300 x 12"

Hey Tony,
What do you mean by cold plugging the holes?
Drilling holes sounds like a good doable alternative but I have a piece of steel that can be machined and I was thingking of making a whole new spindle nut all together. I'm thinking I can do it.
I think it sure would look a whole lot better.
Then getting it heat treated ... would heat treating be necessary? I'm thinking that it may not be necessary because I don't think there's really that much torque on it ...
Your thoughts on this would be MUCH appreciated. I'll send some pics tomorrow and maybe you can tell me what you think.
Thanks
Ed

By cold plugging I meant drilling/reaming the existing holes to a close size, then pressing lightly plugs into the holes. You could then turn them flush and they should not show much at all. Then put a new set of holes out of position from the old ones.

Making a new nut is OK, but depending on the material, you may not want to harden it. If you have pre-hardended 4140, for example, it should be fine as is. A ring will tend to distort from the quench, so it's a little guesswork to make sure the things is round enough to use. If you have annealed stock, it won't machine all that clean, and it will grow or shrink and distort. If you go that route, leave stock for finish machining. The nut doesn't have to be so hard you can't cut it, so no need to shoot for some exotic tool steel.

Hi again Tony,
I found a piece of round stock just big enough to machine it down to the right dimensions but, .... I don't know what it is.
So if it's just a piece of annealed stock like you mentioned, I'll have to leave that O.D. slightly larger so I can try to cut it smooth and leave it with some kind of finnish surface, right?
At the same time I'll see if I can locate some 4140 somewhere ... would 4130 work?
Ed

4130 will be fine. Here's a chart of the main characteristics of 4130:

http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/4130.asp

I've uses tons of it, mostly because of it's weldability advantage over 4140/42/45. Easier to process than those. If you're sure it's annealed, I'd get it Q & T up to the high 30's to low 40's Rc, and it sill be stable and still machinable. Unless you have an aversion to just doing a little polishing after heat treat, the OD can be either skim cut, or polished afterwards. If you want maximum strength out of it,

In its annealed stated, I wouldn't use it for a spindle nut. Tensile and yield are too low. Hardness as annealed is around 197 Brinnell, with an ultimate tensile of 97,200 PSI. That's pretty low for a machine part. Of course, these properties give it a high elongation, and a high Reduction of Area. Useful for some things, but not for this. It's generally not practical to HT a single piece due to minimum furnace charges, but if you have a batch of the same material going over to the heat treaters, then by all means, get this done up to the high 30's. It will be machinable, but the tensile and yield will be just right.You might rough it out, leaving .100 all over, then finish it out after Q&T.

Hey Tony,
That's a whole lotta metalurgy jargon that I am just not familier with ... yet. You knowlege on this subject is impressive.
I did manage to find a piece of 4130 from an old school machinist who I have had the pleasure of meeting a couple of months ago. I don't think there are many guys like this around here anymore. I found him hidden in some small obscure shop just off interstate 10.

So I gather that from the data you have sent me, annealing will not be necessary if I am to use this piece of 4130 for this spindle nut....
Also, here are some pics of the nut, the material that I WAS going to use and the piece of 4130. This guy who gave it to me wrote "4130" on it so he would know what he had if he needed it in the future.
The thickness of this piece is almost exactly the same at one piont but I'll have to cut off approx. 1.5" of the O.D. I'll have to be careful on with the thickness when I go to face it. I just trying to plan this so I don't waist this piece.

I don't know what happened but my pics did not post.
I'll try again later.
Ed

Well, annealing won't be necessary if the piece of material is a standard off the shelf quench and temper. It will be machinable, and strong enough. If, on the other hand, it is bought annealed, it really should be heat treated before you machine it.

Please note that I recommended Rc30 + when I gave the other hardness reference in Brinnell. Generally, the Brinnell scale, although it overlaps the lower end of the Rockwell C scale, is given for annealed and low end hardness readings/specifications in carbon and alloy steels.

Here's a handy chart, worth saving, of the many of the common scales and how they compare and cross in some cases.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-hardness.htm

Hey Tony,
Here those pics.
I think that I just going to assume it is off the self temper and quench. I'll make an attempt to machine this piece into what I need. I'm going to have to bet that this piece of 4130 will do. I just don't know anything about the shelf quench and temper. I must admit that I am a little confused because I would have thought that it would need to be heat treated after the machining process. But I guess I have much to learn yet.
I'll have a look at those charts and see if I can make heads or tails out of them anyway. I might just learn something.
The amount of information you have given me is somewhat overwhelming but I am much appreciative fot it.
Ed

IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0323.JPG

Another question,
I was already going to try to start machining this previously discussed piece of 4130 for my new spindle nut. I noticed that it is an extremley uneven piece.
I mean it's out-of-round and it has been cut with a saw so it's very obviously uneven on that end also.
I mounted it in my 8 inch 4 jaw chuck and just trying to eyeball it so I can get it in the ball park then start cutting to get it round.
But then I thought about it, would it be better to find the center (as best I can) and drill a whole, then make mandrel then machine it round.
I have enough room for it. The piece is at least an inch over sized O.D. It's the height that is very close.
But once I have it drilled and mandreled, I can then hold it then machine down the O.D.
I think that would be a better plan ....don't you?
Ed

IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0334.JPG

Its to bad that your so far away cause I have a head out in my carport that seems to be good, Doesn't look like its ever been opened.

Paul

Back