Clausing 6300 x 12"

Hey there Tony,
Well then that should be enough info for Bill. I brought the bearings home with me just in case he needed more info.
Thanks Tony. That's good information.
Ed

Clausing 6300 x 12" tear down

Well here I am again to pick up where I left off on my telling of this experience.
Once it was decided that this machine would be gone through and restored, I then figured that I had better get the headstock off. The thing that was kind of making it difficult was that the gear guard plate and having drive gear and idler gear still installed. I was able to very gently pry them off then remove the oil seals that were behind them. Once I had these items removed I probably could have just pushed the head stock towards the tail stock so that the 2 bolts could then be wrenched out. But I was still going to have remove the gear guard at some point so I continued at that.

jpg_0087.JPG jpg_0087.JPG jpg_0087.JPG jpg_0087.JPG jpg_0087.JPG jpg_0087.JPG

I live in Bermuda Dunes about 30 miles east of Palm Springs. Between Palm Desert and Indio, right off of I-10. It's just down the mountain from you. I'd gladly drive up to buy them from you.

Ye Sir, you are correct. I don't think I would drive to connecticut for some bearings. I guess I did read you wrong. My apologies. But it would be very cool to meet with you and enjoy some coffee and some good machining conversation. I'm sure I could learn something. I like to give tours of my work place to friends and family and I especially like it when the kids can come and look at the helicopter I work on. Maybe when in the neighborhood you might be interested and can come by also.
And yes I would need the bearings sooner then that. I'll be looking for your message in the morning.
Thanks, Ed

I wouldn't be afraid to use standard bearings in that lathe. Unless you are doing super precision work and running high spindle speeds they should work fine. I just may have another option for you though,, I have parted out a 6300 Clausing and if,, (BIG IF) the bearings are still there AND they are in good shape, I may have bearings for you. It's been a few years since I tore that lathe apart and just not sure what's left. It's at another building I have and I probably won't be there for a few days, but I can check if you still need them.

I'll hope for the best with that big if. I'd like to know if you have the whole head stock. Even if it's in pieces. I think standard bearings should be fine. I'll try to give them a call this week if I can. I won't be in my normal working enviroment and I'll have look like working and that makes it difficult to spend time on the phone but I'll see what I can find out. I found a dealer ( Impact Bearings) that sells Timkens and for the same part number, they have normal bearings and "High precision" bearings for $311.00 for the front and $233.63 for the rear. I forgot to ask about the cup/cones so I don't know how much that would be total. The regular bearings ( same P/N ) were about $50.00 or $70.00. I don't think the lathe had the high precision bearings installed. I wonder if the regulars would be good enough.
I'm probably looking at about $700.00 roughly. If I can cut that by half and still get good quality bearings, then I think that will do.
But like I said, I'm interested in that headstock if you got it and I'd like to see pictures of it.
So YES, Mr, Grandtools I'm interested.

The headstock is there, but it's taken apart. I think I sold some gears out of it,, I just can't recall if the bearings and spindle are still there as I know I took it all apart.

Back