Clausing 6300 x 12"

My 9 inch Boxford lathe got a set of stock standard bearings for X mas.
One Swedish and one Chinese .
Turning was neither better or worse than the fifty year old high precision Timken that would have cost more than 300 dollars to replace.
Standard to day is better than exceptional fifty years ago(for bearings)

Regards

Niels

Timken is just a brand name, as is SKF, Fafnir, and a couple of others. The price difference should be mainly in the grading of the bearings, as far as fit. High precision bearings, as are expected in machine tools do typically cost quite a bit more. Depending on what type of work you want to do, it may not be worth it. As long as you can afford it, get the precision bearings. Otherwise, do the best you can.

Hello Rotormotored

Sorry for being unclear.
My experience is that a SKF and a Chinese bearing are at least as good as fifty year old Timkens of special lathe grade (and VERY expensive if buying new to day.)

Clausing 6300 x 12" Teardown

Hi everybody, Well I was on here and typed a in a decent play by play along with pics. But alas, I think I may have overwhelmed the server and it wouldn't let me post it. Maybe it just took me too long and it logged me off, .. don't know.
Anyway, I thought I'd just try post again but this time bit by bit.
Here goes: Well I managed to make a realization that "Yes" there is another tapered roller bearing that is located on the aft end of the spindle. I managed not to see it mostly because as I was attempting to reinstall my spindle, I had left all the gears/ oil pump/collars etc. in place by running a piece of safety wire through them all. So as not to forget where they belong and in proper order. In doing so, I left in a spacer at the left side or aft end of the spindle, if you will. When I decided that this was now going to be a complete tear down, inspection and rebuild/restoration, I all those above mentioned items out of the headstock housing. And to my shock and amusement, there was that "Other Bearing" that for some reason eluded me before.
So with that said, here are some pics for you. You guys can probably tell what my next plan of action will be.

jpg_0075.JPG jpg_0076.JPG jpg_0077.JPG jpg_0075.JPG jpg_0076.JPG jpg_0077.JPG jpg_0075.JPG jpg_0076.JPG jpg_0077.JPG jpg_0075.JPG jpg_0076.JPG jpg_0077.JPG jpg_0075.JPG jpg_0076.JPG jpg_0077.JPG jpg_0075.JPG jpg_0076.JPG jpg_0077.JPG

Hi Bill, I'll get those dememsions for you here in a couple of hours. I am open to "other" options.
Ed

Hey Bill,
Here are my bearing dimensions. I hope this will give you enough info.
I'm not sure about the O.D. because I measured at the roller cage O.D. I tried to measure the actual O.D. with the roller and that came out to 3.210" at it's widest. The only difference between the two is the I.D. The front is 1.934" and the rear is 1.875". The cone/ cup is the same P/N 362 A(TIMKEN).
Please let me know if more info is needed.
Ed

jpg_0113.JPG jpg_0114.JPG jpg_0113.JPG jpg_0114.JPG jpg_0113.JPG jpg_0114.JPG jpg_0113.JPG jpg_0114.JPG jpg_0113.JPG jpg_0114.JPG jpg_0113.JPG jpg_0114.JPG

Generally, a tapered bearing can be spec'd with the bore size for the shaft, the OD of the outer race, and the thickness.

A number usually can be cross referenced to any make that has a substitute.

Back