Clausing 5418 Lathe

SUCCESS!!! I moved the entire under drive to the other set of holes (2" to the right) and now the handle is much more accessible. The counter shaft 3 belt pulley was very close to the edge of the opening in the chip tray but after some more staring - I found a couple of other adjustments that allowed me to move that pulley back to the left. I need to wait until the lathe and head stock are installed to tune that alignment but I think I can get it.

On to leveling the cabinet and finalizing the motor wiring.

Rick

Rick,

On the V-belts, there are basically two types (not counting emergency repair link belts). Light Duty (FHP (Fractional Horse Power), and Multiple V-Belt. The FHP belt standard part numbers begin with a number between 2 and 5, the letter "L" and then three numbers. Except for 5 the first number is the nominal width in eights of an inch (5 is 21.32" for some wierd reason). I've no idea why "L". The final three digits are the length in inches to the nearest tenth of an inch. The Multiple type begin with a letter between A and E for a width between 1/2" and 1-1/2", followed by a two or three digit number. "44" isn't on the list in Machinery's Handbook. It should be "46". In almost all cases, the pitch length (not outer circumference) corresponding to the number is larger than the number. B46 should be 47.8. Why, I again have don't know. Perhaps it is the ID circumference, which isn't given in the table..

So I ended up buying new half nus from Clausing (couldn't make a reasonable deal with the ebay seller). The half nuts arrived today - except they aren't half nuts - yet. They have not been split yet. Is there a recommended way to split them? It looks like I could simply saw through them using the thin connection point as a guide? Make sense?

Thanks
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to split them with your saw. Once split, take a light face mill cut across to remove the saw cut marks. Also, it might help to bevel the edges of the thread so it will engage the lead screw without binding. I've had to do this on much larger half nuts on larger lathes in my past. Make sure they engage with the lead screw properly before installing. Ken

BTW- Were the new half nuts from Clausing cheaper than those from the eBay seller?

You shouldn't have received that. They should have already been split and the flashing cleaned off. I would call Clausing and speak with Jolene and tell her what you actually received.

You should be able to split them with your saw. Once split, take a light face mill cut across to remove the saw cut marks. Also, it might help to bevel the edges of the thread so it will engage the lead screw without binding. I've had to do this on much larger half nuts on larger lathes in my past. Make sure they engage with the lead screw properly before installing. Ken

BTW- Were the new half nuts from Clausing cheaper than those from the eBay seller?

The new half nuts (with shipping) were about $10 more than the auction list. In private conversationsthe ebay seller was not willing to deviate very much from his auction list pricing.

Rick

You shouldn't have received that. They should have already been split and the flashing cleaned off. I would call Clausing and speak with Jolene and tell her what you actually received.

Thanks - I'll call them today

Rick

Well I spoke with Jolene this morning - she indicated all half nuts they sell are un-split. She connected me with a technical rep and he explained a couple of ways to split them and also indicated that the split wasn't critical as the flashing web would not interfere with the operation of the half nuts. I'll give it a try.

Rick

OK. She must have meant all Clausing half nuts. I bought a pair for my Atlas last year and they came as two separate pieces. So I guess I just assumed that the Clausing ones would be the same since they come from the same seller.

OK. She must have meant all Clausing half nuts. I bought a pair for my Atlas last year and they came as two separate pieces. So I guess I just assumed that the Clausing ones would be the same since they come from the same seller.
An update - I followed the tech guy's first suggestion. set t on a bench with the pins down and tap it gently on the joint line with a soft mallet. I tapped it a coule of times and then kind of pulled on it and it came right apart at the joint line. Nice clean joint with no flash line that will interfere with the half nut opertation. As usual I made more out of it than it deserved. :)

Rick

Back