Clausing 5418 Lathe

Rick_B

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Good morning folks - its been awhile since I frequented this forum. I am in the process of disassembling a Clausing 5418 12" lathe (serial number 001985) and was wondering if anyone has knowledge of this machine? I have some specific questions but thought I'd see if there was anyone who owns or has experience with one of these machines?
Thanks
Rick

I have a 5418, haven't had to do much disassembly on it but can try to help you out. I have a scanned copy of the manual too if that'll help. My email is bghansen08@gmail.com is you want a copy.

I have a 5418, haven't had to do much disassembly on it but can try to help you out. I have a scanned copy of the manual too if that'll help. My email is bghansen08@gmail.com is you want a copy.
Thanks BG - I have a manual that clausing sent me. I'm struggling with two areas right now. The first is disassembly of the compound. It appears the compound lead screw goes through what the manual calls a "bearing". There is a shoulder on the screw that prevents the screw from coming out. I believe the"bearing" is threaded into the compound body. There are two holes in the bearing that look to be for a pin type face spanner wrench. I'm looking for verification that I am correct and the the thread is right hand before I start the "whacking". :)

The second area is the gear box bearings - there are 5. All are marked MRC 202 SFF18. 3 of the bearings match up nicely with a standard 6202 with a 5/8 bore. The other two have OD and width measurements that match a 6202 but happear to have a sleeve in the bore (permanent) that brings the OD down to .561. I'm wondering if the sleeve is standard or user modified? I did check the bearing prices with Clausing and they are astronomical - especially for the standard 6202 with 5/8 bore.

Appreciate any thougts/insights/experiences you may have.

Thanks
Rick

I can take the compound off my lathe and shoot you some photos. I'm assuming you're talking about the bearings on the ends of the QCGB, the ones that have sheet metal caps with 3 screws holding the caps on. No problem taking them off and measuring the shaft diameter. Look for some photos by Monday.

Bruce

Rick,

The drawing of the compound assembly clearly shows threads on the nose of the compound feed screw bearing. While I don't have any information that would prove it, there is no logical reason for left hand threads to have been used here. If it were mine, I would just assume right hand threads and take it out.

On your bearing comments, did you mean "brings the ID down to .561." instead of "brings the OD down to .561."? As far as your question goes, I would call an industrial bearing supplier and ask them to check whether any of the bearing manufacturers supply a 6202 but with bore reduced by 0.0015". If none do, then Clausing must have done it. So also ask the supplier whether a 6202 clone is available with a larger than 0.6250" bore that you could sleeve down to 0.5610". That'll be a non-trivial operation, though.

Duh! Sorry. Must have had a mental lapse or Senior Moment. 0.561" (actually 0.5625") would be 9/16", not 0.0015" under 5/8".

Last edited:
Hi Rick,

I can't attach photos; they're on my work phone and the cable is at work . . . My compound bearing part# Q-556 is right hand threaded into casting C-370.

On the QCGB, shaft 700-047 (one highest and closest to the bed) is 9/16". The bearings, p/n Q-484 are both 1 3/8" OD, 9/16" ID. The rest of the bearings, p/n 50-18 are 1 3/8" OD, 5/8" ID.

Hope that helps, Bruce

p.s. These part numbers are from the recently uploaded Clausing 5300/5400 manual.

OK. That makes more sense, so disregard my earlier except for the OD versus ID question.

Thanks guys for the confirmation on the compound screw bearing. Now I just need to get the right pin type face spanner wrench.

Regarding the QCGB bearings - I did find the bearing numbers from the Clausing manual - and they are available from Clausing - for tons of money. Based on my measurements all 5 are standard 6202 special bore (5/8") bearings available from accurate bearing at a reasonable cost. Two of them appear to be sleeved down to .561" - not special bore but sleeved. I do need to check if that is an available standard bearing but I'm also going to try getting that sleeve out of the existing bearings. I plan on posting a picture of the bearing later today and I'll include some progress photos.

Thanks

Rick

After some searching in the scrap bin for just the right pusher rod - I discoverd that the bearing sleeves were simple pressed into a standard 6202 bearing with a 5/8 bore - these are readily available. I don't know if the sleeved bearing bore is a standard item, user modfication or Clausing modification - I'll check that out and if it is not standard I'll just get a 6202 5/8 bore bearing andpress the sleeve back into it.

Bearing _Sleeve Installed.JPG Bearing and Sleeve.JPG

Here some before/after photos of some of the sections already completed.
Lathe TS End.JPG
Complete 1.JPG

Complete 2.JPG

Pulley End.JPG
Motor Complete 1.JPG
Motor Complete 2.JPG Motor Complete 3.JPG

Bearing and Sleeve.JPG Bearing _Sleeve Installed.JPG Lathe TS End.JPG Complete 1.JPG Complete 2.JPG Pulley End.JPG Motor Complete 1.JPG Motor Complete 2.JPG Motor Complete 3.JPG

Back