Clausing 4914

Well, honestly its great to hear from both sides of the fence. Gives me a lot to think about on these issues. Especially since you both have 4900's. I was thinking about getting one of those little HF plastic parts washers, almost every review though said the pump mounting bracket, being plastic was broken when they got it. The next HF model up is $100. I think that $100 might be better spent on tooling. Maybe I'll get started restoring this thing and see if I really think it will be worth it. I could see it coming in handy down the line but I'm not sure I have the room for it. Although with the top of it closed, it does make a handy flat spot to store more junk!

I bought some wood at HD today to help with the delivery. I went with 4x4 timbers for skids. I'm going to build a platform of 2x3s and 3/4" plywood in front of my shed door to bring my sidewalk height up to my sheds floor height, as well as smooth out the cracked sidewalk. I'm spacing the 2x3s about 10 inches apart so I think it should be able to take the weight of the lathe. There is also about a 9" difference in height between my alley and the platform top which is going to be a bit of a problem. I think I have a strategy to handle that as well though. I'm scheduled to do all this lathe moving next Saturday. I'll take plenty of pictures and put them up on my blog.

Well, I do have one. It's the kind that has a 35 gallon barrel with a rectangular tub on top with a submersible pump, and uses water as a "filter". I got in a trade but used to use it pretty regularly to wash parts with mineral spirits or Stoddard solvent before packing to ship. Of course, all sort of other things were washed, like small engines when I had to work on them, any machine components that needed a good degreasing, etc. I don't use it much any more. In fact, it's in storage. but if I need it, out it comes easily enough. I think it is worthwhile, myself.

I was thinking about getting one of those little HF plastic parts washers, almost every review though said the pump mounting bracket, being plastic was broken when they got it. The next HF model up is $100. I think that $100 might be better spent on tooling. Maybe I'll get started restoring this thing and see if I really think it will be worth it. I could see it coming in handy down the line but I'm not sure I have the room for it. Although with the top of it closed, it does make a handy flat spot to store more junk!

If anything do not get a PLASTIC parts washer... you'd want something more durable - for handling the metal parts (heavy, can nick and break plastic) as well as handling solvents (some can eat up the plastic). But as mentioned - with limited space, and for not really a necessity , I think getting the lathe, and starting to work on it might be the better alternative - you can always get one if NEED BE.

I have found a lot of advice on leveling a lathe, but nothing specifically about the type of level. Figured I'd ask here since you've all given me good advice already.

I believe you need to use a precision level like a Starrett No. 98. I'm assuming my run of the mill woodworking level is not precise enough?

Does it matter what length the precision level is? A few Starrett 98-4 (4") are on eBay for less than $50. I'm a little worried about buying a precision instrument like that from eBay though, you never know if someone is selling you a piece of junk.

Should I just get one of the import precision levels from Shars or the like?

Just heard from the seller. He confirmed that the "plate" that was with the lathe is indeed a chuck backplate threaded for the 1 3/4-8 spindle. Now I'm wondering if there will be enough "meat" on the thing to machine it to fit a new chuck.

I believe you need to use a precision level like a Starrett No. 98. I'm assuming my run of the mill woodworking level is not precise enough?

Does it matter what length the precision level is? A few Starrett 98-4 (4") are on eBay for less than $50. I'm a little worried about buying a precision instrument like that from eBay though, you never know if someone is selling you a piece of junk.

you are correct, you want a precision level. the clausing manual suggest to use AT LEAST a 6" level (8" and 12" are good too, but are more expensive) since you'd need to position the level across the 2 ways and the 4" won't have enough reach.

getting something like this on eBay is a risk (I failed with a mitty mic... but knowing it was a risk only bought it at a very low price and can still use it for parts - which I will). I did get my 6" level on eBay and ended up having to calibrate it (the starretts are adjustable so you can level your level with a set screw). if the sale is guaranteed on DOA you might be OK. there are other levels out there that could be just as good for hobby use though (imports) I would not cross them out (seen one at tools4cheap at a reasonable price for I believe what was an 8").

like any other precision tool - get something that will last, so that when the day comes and you need it to perform, it won't fail you. a little investment today goes a long way, especially with precision measuring tools

Just heard from the seller. He confirmed that the "plate" that was with the lathe is indeed a chuck backplate threaded for the 1 3/4-8 spindle. Now I'm wondering if there will be enough "meat" on the thing to machine it to fit a new chuck.

thats great news - as long as you have something to work with I wouldn't worry much about it right now since you'll have PLENTY of time to measure it and so your research while the lathe is being cleaned (NOT a 2 hour job ;) )

Yeah after I asked about what size I needed I read back through the manual and saw that you need at least a 6" level. I ended up winning an eBay auction for a used Starrett 98-6 for a reasonable price, and the seller offers a 30 money back return policy. So if it's junk I can send it back.

I also ordered the VFD today. I probably won't be purchasing anything else until I get this thing home. I figure with the VFD and the level, I can get this thing set up enough to run.

I've been spending the day cleaning up the shed where the lathe is going to go. After double checking some measurements, I realized just how close of a squeeze this is going to be. I'll take some pictures and update my blog sometime soon.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Ok so I know I said I wasn't going to buy anything else until I got this thing home. But I just can't help myself. Really, I'm such a took junky. I think I need a 12 step program to kick the habit. :lmao:

I found a nice used Buck 5" 3 jaw on eBay for a pretty good price. With luck I'll be able to get that chuck back plate that's currently on the lathe to mate up to it. Then I'll be up and running.

Well almost. I still need a tool post and some tool bits. Oh, and some lubricants. I still have some money left over from my "lathe" budget burning a hole in my pocket.

I think I'm leaning towards the Shars axa wedge type QCTP. Again, I keep reading good things about it. I know Sharon noted that since I'm a woodworker I'm no stranger to sharpening tools, and wouldn't have any problems with using HSS tool bits. But I'm still thinking that a set of carbides would be worth having. I've read some prefer the brazed over the indexable. Any suggestions? I'm definately going to pick up some HSS bits since they are so cheap. What size do you use? I haven't read much on why you'd use a 1/2" bit over a 1/4" bit.

Thanks again!

Well, chalk this one up to getting a little overzealous on tool purchasing. I received the 5" 3 jaw buck chuck today. It's in really nice shape. I don't have any idea to its accuracy since I can't test it on the lathe yet.

The problem is what I thought to be a plain back chuck with a 1/2"-8 backing plate, is in reality a chuck with an integral 1-1/2"-8 thread. No backing plate.'

Aww shucks. The seller has a 30 day money back guarantee. I'll have to contact him and see if that applies to being a dumb a#s!

If I can't send it back I doubt I'll have a problem re-selling it.

oooooh, bummers.

hopefully a lesson learnt?

see if the seller can take it back (might not pay for return shipping though) - worst case I'm sure it'll resell sooner or later.

when is the lathe coming home?

Back