Clausing 100 mk3a Timken spindle bearings

This manual has the bearing numbers listed,
They are
Front cone=14137A
Rear cone=14125A
Cups=14274
my original timken “X” bearings are toast, I replaced them with new timken bearings from motion industries, and they don’t cut it, they have different runout readings depending on which direction I rotate the spindle, it’s noticable in the work.
unfortunately finding precision class replacements was impossible, nobody I tried makes them or sells them or can source them, so if anyone comes up with a good alternative I’m sure a few of us would be greatly appreciative.
I even spent a little time looking at what would be involved to replace them with some A/C bearings, but that kind of thing is a pretty involved science that I am not proficient in.

MWMX54
Good morning!
I have a similar lathe and replaced the bearings about 5 years ago. I bought them from Superior Auto Parts in Cortez, CO (970-565-8494) who had to order them and yes they were expensive. I have no affiliation with them but have always gotten excellent service. They may not be able to get them now but it may be worth a phone call.
Have a good day
Ray

Rock_breaker
Thanks for the lead, I’ll give them a call tomorrow, do you recall what class bearing you were able to get from them? And did they end up being timken brand?

Ive found Koyo and SKF bearings are better in standard grades .....especially Koyo ,as they are Japanese made ,and the company is owned by Toyota.

Mwmx54
They were not Timken and I can't recall the class (old age). The manager is the one who handled the sale etc.. It would seem like one of the bearing houses in Salt Lake could find them but if they can't, a substitute may be in the future. AS John.K says the SKF brand may give good performnce. Good luck !
Ray

For those of you whom already went through the rebuild process on this lathe I have a question if you wouldn't mind answering.

Seeing that we have the Unobtainium style of bearings, what do you think the possibilities are for adapting a bearing with larger ID using a bushing of some type while keeping the OD either the same or close enough so that only minor fitting changes need to be made to the headstock? Yes i know Anything is possible given enough time and money but im speaking in realistic terms of it being so please try to keep that in mind as you mull over your reply as Im not working for NASA but still would need some semblance of Accuracy to be achievable!

In this particular case,it seems a suitable dimensioned replacement was available,just not the precision grade required by the user....this can sometimes be cured by a selection of bearings......and a co operative supplier......or the old adage...what cant be cured must be endured.

For those of you whom already went through the rebuild process on this lathe I have a question if you wouldn't mind answering.

Seeing that we have the Unobtainium style of bearings, what do you think the possibilities are for adapting a bearing with larger ID using a bushing of some type while keeping the OD either the same or close enough so that only minor fitting changes need to be made to the headstock? Yes i know Anything is possible given enough time and money but im speaking in realistic terms of it being so please try to keep that in mind as you mull over your reply as Im not working for NASA but still would need some semblance of Accuracy to be achievable!
I’ve thought about it, but with limited bearing knowledge, did not make it far, I believe being able to adapt a pair of A/C(angular contact) bearings in the front of the spindle would be superior to the tapered bearings, due to the preload being built into the pair and not being required to add preload from the front to the back of the headstock, which creates quite a bit of flex across the headstock. It’s just a matter of finding a suitable bearing that doesnt require too much modification to the headstock casting, preferably none so as to not add potential misalignment, if you could do that a simple deep groove bearing could be used in place of the rear tapered bearing. Or a 2nd pair of A/C(angular contact) bearings.

Last edited:
I assume that you are using A/C to mean some specific type of ball bearing, although I am at a loss to decide what is. But in any case, on this site A/C means Atlas/Craftsman. As Clausing and Atlas both used Timken Tapered Roller Bearings, you can't be saying to use the Atlas bearings (part of which are the same anyway). So please edit your post above accordingly.

I assume that you are using A/C to mean some specific type of ball bearing, although I am at a loss to decide what is. But in any case, on this site A/C means Atlas/Craftsman. As Clausing and Atlas both used Timken Tapered Roller Bearings, you can't be saying to use the Atlas bearings (part of which are the same anyway). So please edit your post above accordingly.
Angular contact bearings
The type of bearing used in machine tool spindles of more recent machine tools. More recent being the last 40 years or so. That’s not meant to sound snarky at all either. Maybe A/C isn’t the right abbreviation, it’s just what I thought of while I was typing that from my cell phone.
You’re right about one of the bearing cones from the clausing 100 being the same as the atlas craftsman 12X36 that I have I think it’s the rear spindle bearing (which is of course the least of which I really need). But the outer races are different between the two machines. I actually have an entire headstock from a 12X36 craftsman that I stole the spindle from because a PO decided to bore the spindle out on mine, and it made the taper not fit well and I messed it up further trying to fix it. It was nice being able to fit <.760” stock through the spindle though.

Last edited:
Back