Clausing 100 mk3a Timken spindle bearings

Typically,Timken have price levels for slow moving stock that are hair raising..............old taper roller motorbike wheel bearings being an example..............if available ,prices in the hundreds...............Now i have reco ed a number of lathes replacing old precision bearings with stock bearings..............I only use SKF,Koyo ,or another top jap brand that is actually made in Japan.......I have found that you can expect runouts of half a thou typically with taper rollers................and its much easier to get much better precision with angular contact/or even deep groove balls.(and cheaper).The reason I steer clear of Timken is most of their production is third world,and I am suspicious of the very cheap Timken big truck wheel bearings that sell for about $50 ....a wheel......big bearings....that IMHO cant possibly have super precision( ,and dont need it.).............there are also large markups in the bearing trade.....with monthly account customers getting an 80 % discount at a $5000/month buy point..........and bearing distributors marking $100 retail on a $5 buyin cost.....before overheads ,obviously..........stock theft used to be very high in the trade.

Last edited:
Heard back from the UK bearing place. They said those bearings don't cross reference to any other brand and timken doesn't plan making any more for at least 8 months. They also said they never plan on making the bearing cups again.

Ouch!!!
Perhaps a personal visit to a bearing house with the bearings in hand?
I can't remember the exact machine but I went to the local Car Quest Automotive store with a precision bearing in hand. The store manager measured it then put the measurements in their computer. When the results came back bearings were available but pricey, not quite breaking the bank.
Good luck
Ray

Time to forget the numbers,and go on the dimensions.......firstly,is the cup flanged......if so, you arent likely to find replacements........assuming the outer dia is plain,then go to the dimensions.

Typically,Timken have price levels for slow moving stock that are hair raising..............old taper roller motorbike wheel bearings being an example..............if available ,prices in the hundreds...............Now i have reco ed a number of lathes replacing old precision bearings with stock bearings..............I only use SKF,Koyo ,or another top jap brand that is actually made in Japan.......I have found that you can expect runouts of half a thou typically with taper rollers................and its much easier to get much better precision with angular contact/or even deep groove balls.(and cheaper).The reason I steer clear of Timken is most of their production is third world,and I am suspicious of the very cheap Timken big truck wheel bearings that sell for about $50 ....a wheel......big bearings....that IMHO cant possibly have super precision( ,and dont need it.).............there are also large markups in the bearing trade.....with monthly account customers getting an 80 % discount at a $5000/month buy point..........and bearing distributors marking $100 retail on a $5 buyin cost.....before overheads ,obviously..........stock theft used to be very high in the trade.

I've zero run on my Centec spindle using Timken bearings ,and the spindle on my Fortis lathe

You can be lucky.....The runout I mentioned was a max to be expected,if I said 3 tenths,someone would object saying their replacement ranout 5 tenths..................As I said ,ya can be lucky............long time ago someone showed me a cheap Chinese woodlathe where the headstock spindle assy had no discernable runout with a tenths dialguage......so we re talking microns with a $2 bearing..................

Well, finally got the spindle out to look at the bearings. They are orignal class 3 bearings one from 3-30-46 and the front one12-30-45 they do show some where but they don’t look all that bad they are marked with the date and the class.
Thanks for looking.
CH

Wonder how bad it would be with non-precision bearings back in there. Good enough for a sanding lathe? I think those are common wheel bearing size.

Don't do it unless you have no choice. And as I wrote elsewhere, there is nothing visible in your photos that would cause me to want to replace them. You are looking at over $100 for the Class 2's and probably over $500 for the Class 3's. If you find any for under $100 they are either counterfeit or maybe old stock Class 2's being sold cheap.

Back