Clausing 100 mk3a Timken spindle bearings

Don't do it unless you have no choice. And as I wrote elsewhere, there is nothing visible in your photos that would cause me to want to replace them. You are looking at over $100 for the Class 2's and probably over $500 for the Class 3's. If you find any for under $100 they are either counterfeit or maybe old stock Class 2's being sold cheap.
What is the talerence on a class 2? Is that like Nascar wheel bearings? :cool: I herd back from Temkin today, lead time on the 14174A class 3 is now 31 weeks, hand made, and 33 weeks on the 14125A class 3 $627.98, both are custom hand made. I guess I’ll just reuse the old 40s bearings. I need to fix 2 teeth on the spindle bull gear, clean up the repaire and put every thing back together.
I only gave 1000 for the lathe. LOL
CH

ABMA/ANSI Class 2 Tapered Roller Bearings have a maximum Assembled Bearing Radial Runout of 0.0015". Class 3 is 0.0003".

Neither the ABMA manual nor Timken mention what to use for NASCAR so I don't know.

I see no reason not to reuse the original bearings. Unlike ball bearings, tapered roller bearings can have a fairly significant amount of wear on the rollers and the cup and still perform to original specs.

“Neither the ABMA manual nor Timken mention what to use for NASCAR so I don't know.”
LOL this was just me trying to lighten up a little. I was searching for 14125A bearing sources and there was some NACAR super speedway bearings that have some super secret coating on them, super blue or something like that. I saw Temkins precicion bearing PDF for the different grades of bearings. I noted that that spec is for 4” bearing and 6” cup. I’m thinking that a class 2 at 1.25” would be much less tha .0015”, and that the .0015 is max allowed not average, or nominal assembled run out?
CH

Well, we have no way of knowing short of buying a bunch of expensive bearings and more expensive QC equipment and running our own tests.

The Class 2 specs are actually for any bearings up to a cup OD of 12". I used to work for a company that used Timken bearings that were around 30" diameter. They supported the longitudinal defect rotating inspection heads which could inspect pipe up to 13-5/8" casing, with couplings in place. Even in the mid 1960's, those were some expensive bearings. Someone once told me that Timken originally made the bearings for the main rotors on the CH-46 Chinook.

I should have put a Smiley after my NASCAR comment. :cool:

Hi All
Well I think it is time to change bearings in my Clausing 100 mk3a. So I don’t know crapola about bearing but I know they aren’t cheap. How ever a new lathe is $3600+ for Grizzly or a PM 12x36 lathe. So bearings would be cheap I guess. I want best bearings but don’t know what ask for or order. Don't even know the bearings that are in it. I do know it has started chattering like crazy all of a sudden, and there is about .0015-002 play in the spndle side to side and less than 5 tenths end to end so thinking bearings. Any one know the numbers of bearing and class I need to order? Where to order? I search the forum for bearing info on clausing but no joy. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
CH
I can help you on bearing description all in need is the number written on the bearing.

If someone will post the Timken numbers along with which are cups and which are cones, and which are the larger two and which the smaller, I'll put it in a PDF and put that in Downloads.

Is there anyway to adapt an angular contact bearing to fit?

If someone will post the Timken numbers along with which are cups and which are cones, and which are the larger two and which the smaller, I'll put it in a PDF and put that in Downloads.
Didn't we already get the numbers?

Is there anyway to adapt an angular contact bearing to fit?
I have contacted every body that sells bearings even a few places in Europe/UK. There is no bearing that crosses over thatqq fits both ID, OD requirement. Nothing in mm or inch size bearings. Been thinking about boring the head case for a a different od, bearing with the 1.250 and chuck end 1.375 id.
CH

OK. I must have missed that. If someone will independently confirm the three numbers, I will put a PDF version of the list into the Clausing Lathe folder (Category) in Downloads.

Back