Chance to buy a South Bend Lathe

Nice work going on there Chuck!

I was able to "hand twist" the long oil cups into the Apron casting.....just keep working it. Some needle nose pliers lightly squeezed will also work.

Uhm......yup, I found the craigslist posting for it, let me see if I can get the pics to post here. I won't have it home till next week.

Decent craiglist finds can be rewarding.. found last week:

IMG_2313_zps285fabf3.jpg

IMG_2313_zps285fabf3.jpg

IMG_2313_zps285fabf3.jpg

Last edited:
I found a delta band saw on craigslist a couple of years ago with a riser block for a 12" resaw capacity and an enclosed stand. It's a great addition to my wood shop.

I found a delta band saw on craigslist a couple of years ago with a riser block for a 12" resaw capacity and an enclosed stand. It's a great addition to my wood shop.

I rarely do wood.. but if my garage was bigger, I would leave it for wood and try to find a metal saw.. a horizontal model would be nice. I would love to set it up for metal. A very old 40's Power King. Started an indirect thread HERE about it. Hard to find good old machinery in South Florida. I have been lucky.

Getting the apron back together and I have a question..

I am a little confused about the route of the long wick that runs under the clutch asy.

The book doesn't make it real clear.

Is this the right routing?

IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG IMG_2326.JPG

Yes, that is correct. Ensure the wicks are in their grooves in the walls before you slip the bearings back into place. I would cut about 3/16" off the ends of those hanging wick ends, as per what the book says IIRC, but otherwise you've done it right. One thing you might want to do is tighten up the clutch so the plates don't come out of place from their slots. That happened to me but tightening the clutch up prevents that while you're moving the apron around.

Thanks . I overlooked a section in the book that makes it clear :)

Last edited:
That wick isn't tied to anything on either end, though I guess it couldn't hurt as long as it doesn't interfere with the other gears.

Last edited:
I just made a single knot on the end that went in the oil sump to maximize the length and when I run it this way it is too short unless I do some stretching..

This doesn't seem right.. does it?

Geezz.. I would have paid the extra dollar for the wick being a little longer..
Lets see if I remember this right. The wick doesn't get tied off in the oil sump the way you have it routed on the right of the picture. The ends of the wicks will get trimmed flush before you put the worm collars on. the loop that hangs down below the clutch assy is what picks up the oil and wicks it to the worm.

Let me check in the book again..

Last edited:
Back