Chance to buy a South Bend Lathe

Here's a picture of my ways so they can be evaluated.. they have some chuck damage and pitting, but no detectable ridges. They appear to be in fair shape in my eyes, but I might be wrong.

IMG_1418.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Man you are doing a great job on that. Thank you for sharing, it looks BEAUTIFUL!

Coming from you Buck, that means a lot !

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work, watching you working on your lathe reminds me of when I did mine, it was a fun project. seeing what you are doing makes me want to do another one, if I only had the time. Keep posting pics, I am enjoying this.

Thanks Greg, After seeing your restore, I guess I started feeling a little guilty.. this fine old machine just sitting in the corner being neglected. I have another lathe, an Atlas commercial 12/36 that I have been using, so this one got ignored. I can honestly say that you modivated me!

Now, do you have a '50 Chevy Pickup that you can start restoring ? I need more guilt. Mine has been sitting in the garage in pieces since 1991 !! :biggrin:

As far as getting the oil cups in, the restore book suggested to use inner tube rubber, but electrical tape worked better for me to get my new OEM oilers in. I was parinoid that I would bugger them up. Locked the vise grips medium tight and gave 'em a hard rap. Took a couple of tries and I put some aluminum between the vise grips and the apron so I wouldn't mess up the paint job, as it did slip.. two or three tries and they went in. Used some sealer to avoid leakage. I did turn the edges down at to get them started. Put in the opitional oiler on the hand wheel too.

IMG_2319_zps701c773d.jpg

I knew there was a reason for not taking the Christmas lights down, but I didn't realize it at the time.. Westerly sun giving off some good heat! :cool:

IMG_2320_zpsf6ed03de.jpg

IMG_2319_zps701c773d.jpg

IMG_2320_zpsf6ed03de.jpg

IMG_2319_zps701c773d.jpg

IMG_2320_zpsf6ed03de.jpg

I am really looking forward to seeing this machine done. I love watching old machines come back to life like this too!

Thanks Greg, After seeing your restore, I guess I started feeling a little guilty.. this fine old machine just sitting in the corner being neglected. I have another lathe, an Atlas commercial 12/36 that I have been using, so this one got ignored. I can honestly say that you modivated me!

Now, do you have a '50 Chevy Pickup that you can start restoring ? I need more guilt. Mine has been sitting in the garage in pieces since 1991 !! :biggrin:

No I don't have a chevy but I did just score a burke #4 horizontal mill with vertical milling attachment.

Yes, I read that in another thread :) I expect pictures will be coming along soon.. :)

Uhm......yup, I found the craigslist posting for it, let me see if I can get the pics to post here. I won't have it home till next week.

Back