Chance to buy a South Bend Lathe

ChuckB

Active User
Registered
Have a chance, although times running out, to purchase a heavy 10 like the one shown in the picture. Found this picture on the web. Appears to be the same model, but the one I am looking at is much shorter.

heavy10_southbend_lathe_large_zps9b9419f7.jpg

Now realize SB lathes dont come along too often down here in South Florida. The lathe belonged to the guys dad and has been sitting for a number of years. His dad took the headstock spindle out for some unknown reason.. most of the pieces appear to be there. The ways appear in good shape, but the cross slide has a full turn of play.. The motor runs and appears in good shape. The tooling is very minimal.. a lantern post, 3 jaw chuck, and a little more, but it does have what appears to be the taper turning tool. It is pretty dirty, but has potential. The bench is the same in the picture.

Could it be worth 700.00 ?? or should I pass?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies. Both point to the ways/bed as being the critical deciding point, which appear fine to me, but I am a novice.. What is the best way to tell on this South Bend if they are bad or not?

The Guys final pirce is 750.00.. I think I will go for it, but check the ways before I pay him.

Jim B. link=topic=601.msg2913#msg2913 date=1295562026 said:
You may want to read this:
http://www.mermac.com/advicenew.html

But If you do PLEASE PLEASE read this also.

http://www.mermac.com/klunker2.html

Everybody whso read the first one thinks that that is the only kind of a lthe thats any good.
Both my lathes easially fail half the tests listed in the first artical.
They work fine and produce acceptable results.

Jim B.

Yes.. I have been to those sites before.. the first one was exactly me to a tee, except I didn't back over a kids bike :) When I read it after returning home with my Atlas lathe, all the blood rushed out of my face.. I thought.. "what have I done??" Luckily my deal turned out pretty good.. I just put it on craigslist today and should get my $500 back.

On my second lathe purchase, which was also an atlas, I was a little wiser, although I still went in a little anxious.. It's in pretty decent shape, but I probably paid too much. Again, down here if you don't buy it, someone else will. I will probably hang on to it for a while.

Well, today I made the deal for 750.00.. I'm looking forward to getting this one home! I will take some pictures of the journey and post them within the next week or so.. Lord, I hope I have made the right decision.. That's a lot of cash..

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck,
If you decide to go into the headstock to check the bearings, ask questions or get a book on your lathe. You can damage the bearings if done improperly. Nice find, by the way.

Patrick

knudsen link=topic=601.msg2925#msg2925 date=1295571803 said:
Patrick, it comes with the spindle already out. So he's going to need some help from us and/or the documentation.

No doubt about it ! Thanks for the pre-offer :)

I will post some detailed photos of the spindle parts. (along with pics of everything else)

When and *if I actually get possession of the lathe, Should I continue in this thread or start a new one? (*I requested he take it off CL, but it's still listed..)

knudsen link=topic=601.msg2932#msg2932 date=1295579664 said:
Should I continue in this thread or start a new one?

Either is fine, it's really up to you how you want it presented. Many of us will be happy to help however we can. A trip to FL this time of year sounds very enticing ;D

I don't mean to be an a-hole, but it's currently 72 with a high of 80 tomorrow..

http://www.accuweather.com/us/fl/lo...sp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&u=1

Come on down and teach me how to sharpen/shape and use HSS :)

I'll tell the wifey that you are an old USMC buddy from the past, she'll give me a pass ;)

Jim B. link=topic=601.msg2935#msg2935 date=1295581388 said:
I will be down for a month and a half late in Feburary, around the 20th
I will be in the Pompano Beach area.

Jim b.

Hey, I'll send you a PM :)

Well, I tried to send you a PM.. I forgot that that function doesn't work for me.. some kind of glitch. Here is my email address: clbyrd1954ATcomcast.net

I haven't picked it up yet. The guy is never home and doesn't answer his cell phone, but he did finally call me back and I'm suppose to pick it up on Sunday after two.

The good thing is that I have had more time to bone up on the 10L, such as how to make sure it is a heavy 10 (easiest way it seems, is to look at the apron, half nut lever, and ways width), what worn ways look like and to read about the overall desirability expressed by owners of this model.

I should have taken pictures when I looked at it, but i'm pretty sure, though not positive, that this is an older version with the single front tumbler, verses the newer model with the right and left front tumblers. I realize that there is a less of a range of threading speeds, but should I be concerened with the vintage of this 10L ?

Looking at the manuals posted by ntimken It appears that some pieces are missing from the head stock..Including the large and small covers and also the tapering attachment is missing a majority of parts. It also comes with very basic tooling.. Taking into consideration my location, is the $750 he wants too much? I have searched Craigslist and am yet to find a 10L for sale for under 2K in the whole state..

Jim B. link=topic=601.msg2992#msg2992 date=1295714378 said:
ChuckB link=topic=601.msg2983#msg2983 date=1295709389 said:
I should have taken pictures when I looked at it, but i'm pretty sure, though not positive, that this is an older version with the single large front tumbler, with a small lever on the left side verses the newer model with the right and left front tumblers. I realize that there is a less of a range of threading speeds, but should I be concerened with the vintage of this 10L ?

Looking at the manuals posted by ntimken It appears that some pieces are missing from the head stock..Including the large and small covers and also the tapering attachment is missing a majority of parts. It also comes with very basic tooling.. Taking into consideration my location, is the $750 he wants too much? I have searched Craigslist and am yet to find a 10L for sale for under 2K in the whole state..

The move from the single tumbler gearbox to the double toumbler on by SB was a cost reduction move. It did not necessarally produce a better machine.
Yes there are "Wide Range" gearboxes, but this was a later offering and was, I believe, a special order, so not all SB10L's have the wide range gearbox.
There is a feature on the single tumbler that I like a lot and which is not available on the double tumbler.
The top lever may be shifted, under power , from the leftmost position to the right most position. This allows you to go from a "roughing" feed to a Finishing feed with almost no effort.

These lathes are very top heavy. A lot of newbe's loose them and wind up brealiing parts. You need several people to steady this machine while loading it. I would reccomend a rental trailer.

As to the price.
Even without a taper attachment its a fair price,DEPENDING on what is missing from the headstock.
Also be carefull there is a 10R which is identical except for a small bore spindle. These are less desirable. The spindle can be swapped out however. More money.

Jim B.

Thanks for the info. More good news for me :)

I will check the hole size.. from what I have read: "15/16" OD on one end and 1 5/16 on the other end" , right?

The one I am trying to get is mounted on the bench with the curved legs, so it is probably not as top heavy as the type in the picture that has the pedestal/leg, but I will make sure it is strapped down. Thanks.

Back