Chance to buy a South Bend Lathe

Putting the bench back together.. best method is to stand it up on it's end. Man.. those parts are heavy..

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

I plan on painting the handle with the tough hard nose paint. I used Rustoleum High Performance Paint for inside the cabinet parts.

IMG_1407.jpg

No more work on the lathe this week.. Took a week off for Daytona Bikeweek and since my Evo Tour Glide is in pieces. I have to make it up there on my Shovelhead. Wish me Luck!!

IMG_1409.jpg

Till next time :)

nice job on the lathe chuck,what a fine machine,your probably already gone on your trip, but good journeys to you anyways..

Yes, I saw that. Been thinking about getting the book. I bought the wick kit already. Thanks :)

I have read most of mine on the 9inch
There were several things that I would have got in trouble with, and I've rebuilt several lathes.
He talks you around the gotchas. For $25? it's a bargain. I wish he would write them for my other machines, I'd buy them all

$25.00 ? wow.. I think the price went down a little. :) Only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't show the single tumbler 10L, although after talking to the guy he indicated that they are very similar.

Been a long time since I worked on this, but I am modivated again, thanks to woodtickgreg's thread of his 10L restore. I have done some more assemblies and will be posting some pictures of my progress soon. Need to find my camera and get some batteries. :))

Here is what I have got done recently. No pictures of the process, but what I do is mildly clean the machined areas with 2000 grit sand paper and WD-40, degrease all parts with mineral spirits, blow dry, tape off machined areas with foil tape, sand blast, blow off, clean with acetone.. let dry and then paint. The shiny pieces were done in a buffing wheel in my bench grinder. I am using Rust-Oleum High Performance Enamel #7587, Dark Machine Gray in the spray can. Can't say this is a labor of love.. a lot of work. I want to get this baby up and running!! :))

IMG_2219_zps1dc4d2fb.jpg

IMG_2222_zpsf6e8e674.jpg

IMG_2220_zps3db2921a.jpg

IMG_2221_zpsd3d1a17e.jpg

Got a ways to go (no pun intended..) but if I keep at it, and don't slack off, maybe it will be done in a couple months or so.

IMG_2223_zps7465a953.jpg

IMG_2224_zpsc2f471c0.jpg

Looking good Chuck! I'm slowly getting my Heavy 10 done. It's a satisfying experience. You'll be a proud papa when she's done. :)

Back