Beer, Who Drinks And Wot?

:+1: on the Stella's!

:beer mugs:

Yes ! Decades ago Schlitz made an acceptable brew right here in Milwaukee. Alas. the wisdom of the new bean counting order wasted a once giant name. The sign company that I worked for as a designer lost 1/3 of their business which was 5 million in the 70's. Now Miller Coors brews anything & everything according to acceptable formulas & labels them as required. We do, however, have many micro & mini brewers in the area to provide a new spectrum of quality quaffing elixirs.

Somehow this response does not synchronize with the "quote" by brino regarding the demise of good former brews. Perhaps Windows 10 isn't as great as promised. (then again it would not be the first I've goofed it up).

Last edited:
Guiness is truly the nectar of the gods, unfortunately the stuff I get now is now brewed in Canada under license from Guiness and unfortunately I have grown accustomed to it. Guiness Imported extra is really special but it is not commonly found around here.

A short glass of Beefeater on ice that gets a glimpse of a bottle of dry vermouth is also pretty nice.

Guiness is truly the nectar of the gods, unfortunately the stuff I get now is now brewed in Canada under license from Guiness and unfortunately I have grown accustomed to it. Guiness Imported extra is really special but it is not commonly found around here.

A short glass of Beefeater on ice that gets a glimpse of a bottle of dry vermouth is also pretty nice.

I truly miss the genuine original Guiness Stout which took about 10 minutes to tap. They say that in Ireland one can float a quarter (or possibly a pence) on the foam. We used to have nearly a dozen genuine Irish pubs in Milwaukee. Now they've become mostly sports bars with silly names.

We have a few brew restaurants in my area, wide variety of choices and tastes. I love variety myself.

I used to drink them all, Bud, Bud Lite, Miller, Schlitz, Ballentine, Coors and Canadian Ace the only beer I have ever seen that came in a gallon jug. But with age comes refined taste.

Enjoying a few Smuttynose as I type.

I gotta agree with that! There is so much consolidation in the big name beers right now I suspect when the bean-counters see they can squeeze a few cents out of every can/bottle, they will and also manage to decrease the flavour and quality at the same time.

Ha. I just remembered the catch with the stella.
Can anyone tell from the pic what the bean counters have done???
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450567522.022027.jpg

Chewy beers. Actually, mostly ales. Something that when you are done you know you really tasted something! I used to like Guinness, but the stuff they have in bottles here now is barely a shadow of a good old Guinness on tap at a pub that I still remember, with the tiny foam bubbles. We have really good brews here nowadays in Sacramento. I like IPA, double IPA, Imperial IPA, Imperial stout, and really in your face custom stouts. I would rather drink tap water than Bud, Coors, Miller, Corona or any of the other p1ss waters out there. Double thumbs down on the lite versions.

For hard stuff, the go to drink is a good single malt Scotch, neat. Must be due to my ancestry. I am half German, a quarter Irish, and a fifth Scotch! If that doesn't add up for 'ya, too bad, family secret... 8^)

-Bob Korves (four on the floor and fifth in the glove box ;-)

Back