Atlas/Craftsman 6" Metal Lathe restoration 101.07300 1937

that's so curious, learn something every day! Sounds like a good candidate for a small 3ph motor or a treadmill motor if you can gear it down enough. I remade my spindle and countershaft sheaves for a poly-v belt and the lowest ratio and motor speed (treadmill motor) gets me down to ~100rpm in direct drive, though not a huge amount of torque at that speed so I still need to use the back gears occasionally.

Great repair on the carriage traverse, those things are a pain to get oil to. I had a little wear in my carriage handle shaft, but a couple of very thin shims under the gear and handwheel fixed that.
(Sorry don't mean to hijack the posting.) I was thinking of doing the treadmill motor mod but thought I'd get mine restoration finished before diving into that. I bought an adjustable power supply and it really works well.

Attachments

• 20200329_112459.jpg
    20200329_112459.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
After a long hiatus I finally got around to machining the replacement change gear banjo. After looking a Mark’s photo of his lathe I modified the end of the banjo to match.

86DA3413-4410-4659-8BFE-010C89905485.jpeg

I also 3D printed a full set of change gears and a holder.

A67C4CDE-68A1-44EF-BA24-5FDD74FBDD8C.jpeg

7BAF8580-7E7F-4A94-B964-F2DB4A0552E1.jpeg

I have the 3/4 HP AC Servo motor ordered so hopefully I will be able the finish the lathe shortly.

Cheers,

Adrian

Nice work Adrian ! Your machine is truly one of the first , You are keeping it original as can be . I really like that , waiting for the finished product .
Mark .

That is all nicely done. And your earlier photos settled the question more firmly that unlike the 10" and 12" without the back gears, they aren't just not included.

But that being the case, what is the purpose of the knob sticking out of the front of the headstock?

It is the headstock belt tensioning system. See post #28

Duh! Sorry for asking a dumb question.

Hi, time consuming, but well worth the effort. Beautiful job.

Adrian:

Beautiful work! I recently was given a badly damaged, partially-disassembled 101.07301, and am trying to clean it up and make it useable. My restoration, for now, will not be as thorough and professional as yours-- I'm cautious about taking the time to properly re-paint everything because I don't yet know if I will be able to get it in good working order. If I get it running properly I'll probably disassemble it and do a proper restoration as you've shown here. Nice photos.
My question: am looking for a parts diagram of the main spindle assembly. I've found multiple manuals for the 7301 online, but the spindle assembly diagrams are all for the 101.2400 (a different configuration using dust caps, multiple bearings, etc.) Would you be able to steer me towards such a diagram for the .07301?
Looks like the spindle on mine has all of the same parts as I see on yours in photo #13, above, but I'm not sure. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,
Matt

Matt,

Your 7301 should have a back gear assembly in the headstock which was not part of the 7300 (and likely why the 7300 was discontinued after only a year).

I have only seen the 7301 manuals with the 101.2400 parts diagrams. My understanding is that the 101.2400 drawings should represent your 7301 with the exception that the main spindle roller bearings and associated dust covers will be replaced by oilite bushings. There may be a thrust ball bearing on the left side of the spindle (there is on the 7300 and maybe a 7301 owner can confirm).

Good luck on the restoration.

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian:

Beautiful work! I recently was given a badly damaged, partially-disassembled 101.07301, and am trying to clean it up and make it useable. My restoration, for now, will not be as thorough and professional as yours-- I'm cautious about taking the time to properly re-paint everything because I don't yet know if I will be able to get it in good working order. If I get it running properly I'll probably disassemble it and do a proper restoration as you've shown here. Nice photos.
My question: am looking for a parts diagram of the main spindle assembly. I've found multiple manuals for the 7301 online, but the spindle assembly diagrams are all for the 101.2400 (a different configuration using dust caps, multiple bearings, etc.) Would you be able to steer me towards such a diagram for the .07301?
Looks like the spindle on mine has all of the same parts as I see on yours in photo #13, above, but I'm not sure. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,
Matt
Hi Matt , how bad is badly damaged ? Do you need parts ? Pictures ? When I disassemble my headstock (.07301) bushing model 6" , I keep this handy . http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/atlas/spindle/spindle.html

Back