Atlas/Craftsman 6" Metal Lathe restoration 101.07300 1937

As I was re-assembling the carriage I noticed that the Carriage Traverse Gear Bearing was completely worn. There was almost 1/8" total play at the rack pinion end. The location of the oil hole under the carriage (and not exactly accessible) likely contributed to the wear.

As with the tumbler arm, I bored out the worn bearing and inserted a steel plug. This was then bored to match the dimensions of the Carriage Traverse Pinion shaft and the oil hole redrilled. No more slop and good for another 80 years.

IMG_2127.JPG

Finished assembly.
IMG_2128.JPG

Cheers,

Adrian

Sounds somewhat complicated. May have been another reason for the very short production life. Good job on the carriage traverse gear box, et al.

Adrian, this is a 101.07300. Another difference is that it has 3/4"-16 spindle nose threads. Only made or at least only listed in the catalog for one year, before it was replaced by the 101.07301, which except for the bronze busihings on the spindle instead of Timken tapered roller bearings and 1"-8 spindle nose threads instead of 1"-10 was mostly like the 1939 Atlas 618.

that's so curious, learn something every day! Sounds like a good candidate for a small 3ph motor or a treadmill motor if you can gear it down enough. I remade my spindle and countershaft sheaves for a poly-v belt and the lowest ratio and motor speed (treadmill motor) gets me down to ~100rpm in direct drive, though not a huge amount of torque at that speed so I still need to use the back gears occasionally.

Great repair on the carriage traverse, those things are a pain to get oil to. I had a little wear in my carriage handle shaft, but a couple of very thin shims under the gear and handwheel fixed that.

Finished the tailstock and replaced missing handles on the top slide. The lathe is now pretty much complete. I will be ordering the motor and the necessary pulleys so that I can confirm that the set-up is correct and everything is operating.

IMG_2132.JPG

Clausing provided me with the drawing for the missing Change Gear Bracket. I have built the CAD model and the toolpaths are all generated to machine it on the CNC mill. The mill is currently down for maintenance on the x-axis so it will be a few days before the part is finished. I ordered a set of PA14.5 DP24 gear cutters for making the change gears. I think that aluminum gears will be fine for the amount of use that they are likely to see. The fourth axis on my CNC mill makes gear cutting relatively straight forward.

Change Gear Bracket.jpg

Cheers,

Adrian

Nice work on the lathe. I think you said you were rebuilding this for a friend. Lucky friend.

Looking good! How about sending the factory drawing file or files to WA5CAB@cs.com, and I'll clean it up and put it in Downloads.

Outstanding job on the restoration. Especially the broken pulley repair !!

Hi , I hope it's not to late . Clausing sent you the wrong CAD model . No worry , it would be easy to modify . The very early 6 inch machines did not have the leaf spring clip that would detent on the gear change bracket (banjo) to keep the gear cover closed . On the aft portion of the first banjos it did not protrude much further than the clamp nut . I found this out on my machine , trying to figure out how to get a leaf spring to work . Not possible unless you have the long tail banjo . As stated by the OP the non back gear 6 inch machines have a LH 3/8-20 double lead cross feed threaded shaft . This stuff found it's way onto some of the early 6 inch back gear machines . If anyone has a short tail banjo machine with a gear cover detent lock , I would really like to see it .
Thanks , Mark .

1625678675015.png

Last edited:
Back