Atlas/Craftsman 6" Metal Lathe restoration 101.07300 1937

Besides the lack of back gears, the spindle on the 101.07300 is smaller than the one on the 101.07301. The spindle nose threads are reputed to be 3/4"-16 instead of 1"-8.

Atlas never did an exploded view or illustrated parts list on either the 101.07300 or the 101.07301. The first one on any Craftsman machine was around 1951 when they finally came out with the two models with QCGB's. I've been meaning to do one on the 101.07301 but haven't gotten a round tuit yet.

Dear Sirs:

Looking at this document practically brought a grown man to tears. I don't know if you are the one who created it, but it is invaluable. Who can calculate how many hours of learning, skill, work, patience, and sweat have been distilled down into these pages. Whoever made it has done a service for mankind. 100 years from now someone will undoubtedly be staring at a battered and blackened Craftsman lathe sitting on their workbench. They will carefully remove the sludge of oil, metal filings, and (probably) sawdust from the model number plate on the back and begin their quest to resurrect a Craftsman 101.07301. When they come across the document you sent, they too, may cry tears of joy.

Reading replies like yours--and that of Site Moderator wa5cab, and so many others on this site--gives me hope for the human race. The people who contribute their hard-earned knowledge to this site will probably never get fame, glory, or money for it. They are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Not because they are swell guys, but because they know that wisdom like this is all too easily lost. And when it has gone, the chances of bringing that machine back to life begin to dwindle. And a piece of our history--produced through the accumulated knowledge and effort of untold numbers, and used by who knows how many others in the years that followed, to create or repair parts that would give life to other machines--is lost.

I have to go to work now, but wanted to thank you both. I will follow up later this evening with photos and information on the thing sitting on my workbench. Please advise as to how to best do this. I am not sure if the members of this forum want to read lengthy accounts in a post, or if there is some other method or format I should use.

Thank you very much.

Matt

The motor arrived so I set to work on the final part of the restoration.

Since this particular lathe model has no backgear, I wanted a motor solution that would give me the ability to slow the spindle down to 30-40 RPM with good low speed torque. The solution was 3/4 HP Brushless industrial sewing machine motor. Out of the box it has a speed range of 400-4500 RPM and excellent low speed torque. The motor speed is normally controlled by a pedal.

I though that I would be able to substitute a simple 10k potentiometer for the pedal but it it proved a bit more complex. The motor controller looks for certain voltages to confirm the pedal is connected and in the right position before enabling the motor. As I also wanted a tachometer for the spindle speed, I used a small Arduino controller to act as both the “interface glue” between the 10k pot and the motor controller and a host for an LCD screen and Hall effect RPM sensor.

I used a second lay shaft to reduce the 400 RPM to a suitable input to the lathes original counter shaft. The end result gives an RPM range of 30-1500 at the spindle. The basic layout:

D885FCD8-F4C9-4B8F-8810-8DC8AE886990.jpeg

3DFBBBB6-76E3-422F-B65A-26B8E1AC0836.jpeg

I used my 3D printer to print a support for the Hall Effect Sensor, the electronics enclosure and the potentiometer knob. A Delrin collar with four small magnets is used to measure the spindle RPM.

D732D2FB-199D-4040-999A-6FD3B3CCB5D1.jpeg

A78DB403-DFF5-4FD7-8A3E-9A5763BD328A.jpeg

AC9F248A-6D7E-48A0-8B11-A6FFE9A8E501.jpeg

Great mod. and restoration on that Atlas. My first lathe was a 618 Atlas that did have a back gear set up. Your set up eliminates the need for the back gear. Nice work, enjoy your new lathe.

Nice work , I would like to see a gear cover on it only because I think they look good . Any way you could 3D print one that would fit around the sensor on the end of the spindle ?
Mark .

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done!

Back