Atlas/Craftsman 6" Metal Lathe restoration 101.07300 1937

Great job on the lathe. I like the bench vise as well. It that a Woden?

The top and bottom of the tailstock base, top of the bed (top, front and rear of the ways), bottom of the tailstock, headstock, compound upper swivel, and the two parts of the dove tail should be masked. Those are all critical dimension surfaces. My guess is that all of the castings were painted and then the top and/or bottoms and the dove tails were then machined. Are all of those surfaces masked? The top of the compound slide where the tool post attaches does appear to be masked. Maybe the rest is as well.

All of the critical machined surfaces you listed were masked.

Cheers,

Adrian

Great. Then everything so far looks FB.

Today's task was to repair the damaged countershaft pulley. The outer flange of the pulley had been damaged. There was a 1/2" belt to the spindle instead of the specified 3/8" belt which probably caused the damage.

Damage as received:

IMG_2089.JPG

I elected to replace the damaged flange. I cut off the remaining flange with a dremel tool and then used the lathe to clean up the break and create a register for the new flange.

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

A piece of 1/4" aluminum plate was cut to size, bored for a mandrel and then roughed slightly larger than the finished size. A matching register was cut to create a light press fit into the pulley.

IMG_2096.JPG

The replacement flange was then pressed into the pulley with Loctite 680 and pinned with two 1/16" pins.

IMG_2097.JPG

The flange was then machined to the final diameter, the back faced and the internal flange angle cut. The finished product.

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

Cheers,

Adrian

Back