At what point are you considered a "Machinist"?

I agree with all of you that said you need a very good knowledge base be it from a trade school, working under a master or had been in an apprentice environment. Then, spend 40-50 hours a week in the profession for 5-7 years working at your trade.
Now you are a professional machinist.
IMHO anyway.

I apprenticed in a very large job shop , supposedly the largest on the east coast at the time . We had just about any machines available . The machinist apprenticeship was 8000 hrs , and the toolmakers was 10000 hrs . I completed both . On top of working everyday , we had to go to the colleges at night . Not many of those who got into the program actually finished due to the schedule . I have journeyman's machinist and tool and die makers papers , both a thing of the past . I have worked for most shops or performed work for most in the Baltimore area . I'm sure I've forgotten more than I retain at this point but I don't consider myself a full time machinist any longer . I troubleshoot , manage a shift , do mechanical work and also make replacement parts when needed . I still get many machinist offers but I can't see myself running a machine all day or night .

A machinist is one who machines something.
A good machinist is one who machines something good.
A great machinist doesn’t need a print, an engineer, fancy tools, a huge shop, a big budget, etc.
I say we are all great machinists.

Here are two utubes that may answer your question, guys.
"So God made a machinist" by shopdogsam
"So God made manufacturing" by Okuma America Corporation

I have worked running manual lathes & milling machines & as a certified stick welder for about 40 rears.
I thought I was really good until I saw some of the model engines built from scratch on this site.
Really gives a guy some perspective.

if you can proficiently operate multiple types of machine tools on varying materials AND make parts to stringent specifications-
you are a machinist regardless of the title you give yourself.

i always thought of titles like machinist, mechanic, magician & grand pooba- as something someone else gives you, not something you give yourself

I don't care what anyone calls me. I care if my parts fit and my equipment runs. What's in a name? I have seen work from some of the members here that surpasses anything some of the so called machinists I have worked with. A piece of paper is just that. The real proof is the quality of work performed.

We are a machine operator...

Something breaks and we find scraps of stuff to make a replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back