At what point are you considered a "Machinist"?

43 years ago I couldn't even spell Macheenest , and now I are one ! :grin:

I have to say I've seen some top quality work on this site from many so- called hobbiests . The majority of all on board could most likely qualify to come work in my company , ( if I could only get you there ) :encourage:

I would say that a home shop "machinist" would probably never meet the trade level definition of the term. It's just not possible to get the broad exposure to the different types of machines, materials and work that a professional in the trade encounters. Ad to that the fact that your employment and livelihood depend on being able to not only make the parts right (the first time) and within the time allotted creates a different kind of machinist. This is why I regularly find myself chiding members in this group about chasing unnecessary perfection. I lost count of the number of machinists I had to let go because, while they could do the work, they just couldn't make me any money. "You do nice work...... damn little of it, but nice work."

Last edited:
Many years ago, about 1990 or so I worked for a machine shop. I was assigned to Texas Instruments in Dallas working as a contractor paid by the machine shop in Garland. I didn't run any machines, I was an electronic and assembly tech. Basically a entry level assembly and wiring guy. What amazed me is the machinist we worked with at TI. I have seen people take a drawing on a scrap piece of paper to him and he made it and made it to spec as called out. I guess in my mind that's what I consider a machinist. He had a lathe and mill, and access to the welding shop downstairs. He worked with stainless, aluminium, brass, plastics and probably other things. He is the one who taught me how to sharpen a drill bit on a grinder by hand. I'm not as good as he was, but i'm still trying.

I would say that a home shop "machinist" would probably never meet the trade level definition of the term. It's just not possible to get the broad exposure to the different types of machines, materials and work that a professional in the trade encounters.
I would say that varies widely between shops. I was fortunate to work in a shop that had manual, CNC, toolmaking, moldmaking, heat treating, punch press work, diemaking, and welding. All under one roof. I was fortunate to be exposed to it all, and become proficient in most of those. That's pretty hard these days with the specialization of shops. Many people work in manufacturing and don't get much exposure beyond what's required to make the CNC run. That's not so bad, working your way up to a programmer pays pretty well. Many of the home shops are much more diverse. Haven't seen a shaper since I was in trade school except in home shops.

I agree with the sentiment that a Machinist is someone who can take a print and produce what is intended using machine tools, raw materials, select tooling, make tooling, fixtures and can measure and inspect parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Merriam-Webster, we're all machinists here...

ma·chin·ist | \ mə-ˈshē-nist \
Definition of machinist

1a: a worker who fabricates, assembles, or repairs machinery
b: a craftsman skilled in the use of machine tools
c: one who operates a machine
2 archaic : a person in charge of the mechanical aspects of a theatrical production
3: a warrant officer who supervises machinery and engine operation
I have to disagree with the MW dictionary. IMHO....
1a is a mechanic, or a millwright in some cases, but not a machinist.
1b is a machinist. Key word in that definition is "craftsman". Look up craftsman.
1c is an operator, not a machinist, unless he also qualifies as one under definition 1b. Turning the wheel on a coffee grinder doesn't make you a machinist, although some machinists are quite adept at turning the wheel on a coffee grinder.

A machinist is a different animal than a hobby machinist. If you have to ask if you're a machinist, you aren't. ;)

ymmv

Tom

Many people work in manufacturing and don't get much exposure beyond what's required to make the CNC run.
This is why an experienced machinist is (was) called a journeyman. He had "journeyed" to many shops, learning a wide variety of skills and techniques. The term machinist has been cheapened by applying it to machine operators who load parts and push the buttons, or programmers who wouldn't have a clue how to use a manual mill or lathe.

Back