At what point are you considered a "Machinist"?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm starting with an assumption, specifically that a person could go to a trade school for training and after graduation could rightfully consider themselves a machinist. Also I assume a person could enter into some type of on the job training apprenticeship and at some point in the future when they make journeyman status would consider themselves a machinist. What about a hobby guy? At what point does a person go from being the owner of a machine to being considered a machinist? Is it when you buy a machine? If not then, when? I believe we are always learning and that there is always more to learn, so we should never stop improving our abilities and capabilities.

I would be very proud to consider myself a machinist, which at this point I can't consider myself one. But what does it take? Just thinking out loud here.

I think that when you get your machine, you become an owner. Once you have successfully manufactured something, you can call yourself a machinist. Once you sell something you manufacture or take a job from outside for money, your are no longer an amateur, but a pro. You can still be considered a hobbiest if you are a pro.

In my life of work, we call them associates, staff, senior, and consultant. Even if you are a beginner or an apprentice, you can still be classified as a machinist.

joe

I just go with hobby machinist or machining hobbyist. I mostly do work and make things for myself and a few friends, and if any of them have something to say about the work that was done I can ask them what they might think of someone else's work next time. Oh, a "machinist" would have access to an expansive tool crib and a good tier at the metal supplier that I don't.

I'd say someone is a machinist if they make a living at it.

I'd use the same definition for other things that differentiate a hobby from a career/job. For example, if you drive a sports car on a race track, does that make you a race car driver? No. Does drilling a hole in a piece of metal make you a machinist?

I say the label is worthy when money is exchanged for the skill.

Last edited:
I feel like there are a plethora of requirements to being a machinist, here is a small sample:
  • Break ?? taps in your workpiece (bonus points if in the final operation)
  • Remove ?? taps successfully from your screwed up workpiece
  • Drop a really pretty part on the floor the moment you are done making it thanks to oily hands
  • Drill holes in the wrong spot on non-replaceable stock and repair them
  • Fill your first 50 gal. drum full of chips
  • Break an endmill after packing the flutes with aluminum chips
  • Learn a new swear word during your first time cutting 300 series stainless
  • Realize that you bought a machine that is too small
  • Realize you are spending a lot more than you anticipated on tools
  • To be continued....

I'd say someone is a machinist if they make a living at it.

I'd use the same definition for other things that differentiate a hobby from a career/job. For example, if you drive a sports car on a race track, does that make you a race car driver? No. Does drilling a hole in a piece of metal make you a machinist?

I say the label is worthy when money is exchanged for the skill.

I guess I look at from as being a skill set, not being a job description. However, your definition has merit.

I am certainly and owner. I am also a hobbiest. I would probably not introduce myself as a machinist unless I has significant more experience. Several years of day in/day out machining work. I have been using my Mill and Lathe for 7 or 8 years but to call me a machinist would be a knock against all of the machinist that have thousands of hours of machine time and problem solving time. For now and the foreseeable future I am at best a Hobby Machinist. But Hey, that is just me. I don't think that there are any universal standards on the use of the work Machinist.

Reactions: tjb
Maybe aspiring can be subbed out for amateur. Certainly in my case amateur carries a less than positive meaning as in "My work is amaterish" :D

I've been doing this for almost 30 years now and when I look at some of what the old timers did with manual machines amazes me. I'm spoiled, I've been a CNC guy since the start. I'm trying to figure out a 7 start thread for my cnc lathe I'm buyng, and somehow back in the 50's they did it on a manual machine.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do what they did, so even though I've been paid to make everything from aircraft parts, motorcycle parts, car parts, medical, and even grave markers I'm not sure I can really call myself a machinist.

I feel I'm just a lucky guy that gets to play with expensive big boy toys that few get the opportunity to.

Back