At what point are you considered a "Machinist"?

According to Merriam-Webster, we're all machinists here...

ma·chin·ist | \ mə-ˈshē-nist \
Definition of machinist

1a: a worker who fabricates, assembles, or repairs machinery
b: a craftsman skilled in the use of machine tools
c: one who operates a machine
2 archaic : a person in charge of the mechanical aspects of a theatrical production
3: a warrant officer who supervises machinery and engine operation

Webster's definition is below: a person who operates a machine, especially a machine tool. Pretty broad description, huh? Probably best to leave it vague since pretty much every job description includes those who can and can't, but get to hold the same title.

My definition would be someone who can competently run the major machine tools (lathe, mill, grinder, etc.), make parts that meet the drawing and do it safely. Experience is a great teacher; amazing how many tips and tricks you pick up after doing this stuff for a number of years.

Bruce

1595445559858.png

Last edited:
I would raise the bar, compared to what has already been suggested; I do not believe that just attending a trade school entitles one to the title of machinist, after graduating, I think that after several years of trade experience in industry, the title would be earned, as journeyman machinist.
There is a wide difference between trade school and a formal apprenticeship, where you go to night school for the technical part of learning, and the daily practical experience on the job, the apprenticeship teaches the basics, and the journey (leaving your apprenticeship job and journeying around to other shops for more varied experience), completes the education. I would not be adverse to the term "hobby machinist", and I have seen a good amount of quite fine work done by hobbyists with little formal training, mostly self taught, but could they go out into the real world and hold a job doing whatever work they are assigned to? Maybe not so much.
Personally, I did the formal apprenticeship, worked a total of about seven years in the same shop, left due to layoffs, found another job doing machine work and industrial refrigeration for another three years, then went into the machine shop business for myself, and continued along that path until I retired after about 35 years in business; I did not do much journeying, in the sense of a journeyman machinist, but still, I claim to be one! I have my shop at home, and still do the occasional paying job, and lots of playing around with several projects, when I'm not sitting in front of the computer all too many hours of the day.

Webster's definition is below: a person who operates a machine, especially a machine tool. Pretty broad description, huh? Probably best to leave it vague since pretty much every job descriptions includes those who can and can't, but get to hold the same title.

My definition would be someone who can competently run the major machine tools (lathe, mill, grinder), make parts that meet the drawing and do it safely. Experience is a great teacher; amazing how many tips and tricks you pick up after doing this stuff for a number of years.

Bruce

View attachment 331165
I agree with your personal definition, at least for the most part, but would add to the machinery list; shaper, planer drilling machines, boring mills ---

I know we've kept the definition fairly broad in how we all feel, but i have one more thing to mention. You will effectively be a machinist when you hit that point of injuring your finger on some part and being more worried about the end finish than getting a bandaid. There is a level of acceptability in your work that rises with your experience. A valuable and seasoned machinist is willing to look at a part they just made and toss it to the rubbish pile even if it would work and met the specifications, just because it didn't look perfect. There is the inherent "job well done" factor that differentiates what we would call a "machinist" from a parts producer.

If you have begun to find yourself thinking about something not being good enough or being too simple, you are either a machinist or an engineer.

joe

A) I am only a hobby machinist:: however

B) machinist builds (some of) his own tooling--I built a Die-wrench that came out great--but I am still not a machinists.

C) There are levels of accomplishment (listed above) going from entry, hobby, apprentice, ..., consultant which should be attached to the word 'machinist' until you are being paid regularly for performing said unit of work.

D) a machinist build a multiplicity of parts that fit together the first time--this by the way requires measurement skills.

A machinist to me is one who is able to use a varied series of metal forming, cutting machines. He's able to operate with proficiency and skill, a mill, lathe, surface grinder, seat cutter, the list goes on. Here in Canada where I live, a machinist must apprentice for10,000 hours ( 5 years). They are then allowed to write the licensing exam. If they achieve the minimum score they are a machinist in that area ( province). If they exceed the minimum and score above 80% they receive a red seal certification, which is recognized in all provinces and jurisdictions in Canada. I don't consider myself as a machinist, just a hobbyist, constantly learning. Although I do have a read seal certification as a HDEM and Millwright.

All good points.
I worked in the trade for 40 years before retiring, and the definition changed dramatically in that time. Nowadays, you see ads for ”CNC Machinist”. And they want someone who can set offsets, load programs, make minor changes to the program if necessary, and inspect the part. That’s a far cry from what it used to be. I would define a machinist as a person who needs no instruction other than a drawing to make the part. Capable of creating the order of operations, selecting tooling, building tools and fixtures if necessary, setting up and running the job, and inspecting it when done.

this topic kinda sounds like that old saying:

"dirt bikes & mtn bikes will break my bones but NAMES will never hurt me"

Back